router collet problems

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jorgoz

Established Member
Reaction score
I was trying to route some round tapered table legs today and i ruined my first one. The router bit started climbing out of the collet. It's an old perles 850 router, also known as the elu mof 96. Also, the collet nut becomes undone quite frequently when routing. Is it just worn or would a new collet/nut assembly fix this problem (i wouldn't say no to a new router-toy :mrgreen: ) ? No debris in the collet and i never bottom-out router bits.

Answered your own question :D regardless if it can be fixed - New toy. Letter to santa may work but don't hold your hopes up for it getting to him in time with the postal service as it is hehe

First thing to check is that the cutter is the correct size? If so then it sounds like it does need a new collet.....or time for a new toy...Yipeee! :D

I have an old MOF96 and had a similar problem. Mine had a blue button which was depressed to hold the shaft when tightening the collet. This plastic button located against a flat on the shaft and frankly was not very good. I simply removed the housing (four screws if my memory serves me well) and use two spanners to tighten and release the collet.
Steve

Same here Steve, I don't normally wait for the clamp to fail, I dump 'em and use spanners.
Never had a collet nut loosen since.

Roy.

Clean the collet then make certain you are not inserting the bit too far causing the collet to clamp on curvature under the head of the bit instead of solidly on the shaft.

Lee

The collets are horrendously expensive. Elu are now Black and Decker owned. Trend sell suitable collets.

Did you lubricate the collet? If so this is probably the cause of the problem. Wash it with solvent to effect a cure. (Please refrain from embarassing me by asking how I know :( )

davcefai":300pg7pg said:
The collets are horrendously expensive. Elu are now Black and Decker owned. Trend sell suitable collets.

Did you lubricate the collet? If so this is probably the cause of the problem. Wash it with solvent to effect a cure. (Please refrain from embarassing me by asking how I know :( )

When I was a distributor for Elu, Dewalt etc over 20 years ago, they were already part of B&D with many of the products coming out of their Spennymoor (Co. Durham) factory. Were a seperate sales force for the industrial division and kept out of the DIY outlets.
The MOF 96 / 96e and bigger brothers eg 177e were industry standard and quality tools. We sold several hundred a month, and it's amazing how many are still around. We kept a stock of replacement collets as they were cosidered disposable items.

Collets may be expensive but decent cutters aside, they are the business end of the router which is as much use as a chocolate fireguard if the collect is not in good condition. If the router is ok then surely it must be worth the cost of a collet as they do wear out.

Check whether the collet is 1/4" or 6mm and likewise the bits as though very close, they aren't an "exact" fit if not matched.

I have an Elu MOF 96e which is still in excellent condition tho 25 years old now, it has had collets replaced over time. I also used to have MOF 177e which I sold on and very much regret as it was a much better build quality than the 1/2" Dewalt I replaced it with :(

BTW Davcefai, you wouldn't be the first to lubricate a collect. I know a guy who used WD40 and caused a nasty accident when the cutter flew accross the room at very high speed and took a chunk out of a coleagues' leg.

cheers

Bob

Guys, thanks for the input.

I never bottom out a router bit. I've never waxed or greased a router collet. I use 8mm CMT industrial line router bits; and have checked them with digital calipers. The ones i've measured are all 7.97 mm. I don't use 6mm 1/4 inch sleeved bits to fit the 8mm collet. The collet will probably be shot. I used my other router to complete the task, a metabo, and didn't have a problem. I'm considering getting myself a new router, a triton tra0001 for router table use.

jorgoz":2wm3itep said:
Guys, thanks for the input.

I never bottom out a router bit. I've never waxed or greased a router collet. I use 8mm CMT industrial line router bits; and have checked them with digital calipers. The ones i've measured are all 7.97 mm. I don't use 6mm 1/4 inch sleeved bits to fit the 8mm collet. The collet will probably be shot. I used my other router to complete the task, a metabo, and didn't have a problem. I'm considering getting myself a new router, a triton tra0001 for router table use.

Sorry, for some reason I assumed you were using a ¼" collet.

Personally I would buy a new collet, a lot cheaper than a new router and who can have too many routers! :)

Mick

i had this, didnt have time to wait for the new collet, so rapped a fag paper around the cutter worked a treat till new collet came.

Latest posts

Back