Router choices, opinions required for a new woodworker!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Virana

Established Member
Reaction score
Good morning all,

I am having a dilemma on which router I should purchase, this will be my first router and will spend 90% of it's time under a table, if not 100% with a second hand router for small jobs.

I have basically summed it up to 3 routers and would really like some opinions facts and thoughts on what you all think would be best for me.

The majority of the workload that I will be doing is small round over edges, thin 3mm grooves no more than 1/4" deep (Like you would see on the back of cheap kitchen units that have the mdf boards slotted into)

The biggest jobs the router will have to handle will be 3/4" deep holes that I will be sinking tealight sizes object into, I would expect to use something like an 6-8mm wide straight bit and take it easy with the depth and side to side movement so that the bit doesnt snap.

The 3 choices that I have been able to come up with are:
Bosch POF 1400 ACE http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-POF-1400-Watt-Router/dp/B001E4EJ6M
Makita RP0900X http://www.amazon.co.uk/Makita-4-in...e=UTF8&qid=1373538631&sr=1-1&keywords=rp0900x
Triton JOF001 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Triton-JOF0...ie=UTF8&qid=1373538650&sr=1-1&keywords=jof001

I have a budget of around £150 for the router but obviously if I can buy something for £80 on Ebay then that saves a few pennies! I would like the router to be reliable but would expect to replace it within the year for a more powerful £300+ model when I feel an upgrade is required.

Thank you all. :D

If you can find a second hand Elu 177E for the sort of money you're looking to spend, then that's what I would recomend, pluss you won't have to upgrade ever (unless it dies)

For a year or so I've had the slightly dearer Triton 1400W MOF001. Particularly good in a table as the long plunge depth lets the collet nut come far above the table for very easy one spanner cutter changing. The micro adjuster can be used through the table with the supplied handle. Soft start and collets available in all sizes.

The triton and the makita are underpowered for a table router from what I've read, 900w and 1kw respectively, so really the bosch is the only one out of your 3 to look at, I *think* there might be an issue with the bosch where the micro-adjust doesn't lock when the plunge is locked.

Draper are doing a 1350w combo kit for around £140 if you shop around, it's got a plunge base and a fixed base which means you can use it motor only in a router lift if you want. comes with 1/4" or 1/2" collet and a bunch of accessories. My dad has one in his router table with a sidewinder router lift.

the Draper number is 45368 and it's a combo kit.

I have the Draper Expert, mounted under my router table on the fixed base and you can take the motor out and use it in a plunge base. I managed to get it on special offer from Yandles for £100 but I think £140 is about right now. I have found it really easy to use as it has a flip switch for on and off and you can adjust the height fairly easily reaching under the table. I think you can also use a hex key from above the table although I have not tried that yet. Power wise it has been fine and it does have the two collectors.

You can see it mounted in the plunge base here with the fixed base next to it.

IMG_20130711_195337.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20130711_195337.jpg
    IMG_20130711_195337.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 781
i dont have the perticular model you mention but i can not reccoment Triton highly enough, they are amazing tools, i have a MOF001 which is a little over your budget...its my fave tool buy of all time... best router i own (i also have 2 far more expensive makita & festool models at work).

I would second Paul's comments about size and quality and go for a good Elu 177 or the identical (except for colour and branding) Dewalt 625. You will never regret buying a quality big router with a half inch collet and, despite what you say about your usage, you will inevitably find yourself wanting to do things where you really need the extra power. In my experience, the mass of a big one will often prove to be an asset for work where instinctively you might reach for a small one. Also, don't waste your money on 1/4 inch shank cutters - the extra rigidty of 1/2" shanks will give a much smoother cut.

Jim

I should correct myself and say that the draper comes with 1/4" and 1/2" collets not one or the other.

Thanks for the response all,

I have looked over all the comments and across the forums and see that 90% of people recommend getting the 1/2" shank from the get go, even if I won't make use of it currently, I'm sure something will come along in the future that requires the bigger size and more power.

I had a look over the Triton range on their website since alot of people swear by difference routers for reliability and power, the price difference between the JOF001 and TRA001 is only around £70 so I might just bite the bullet and go for the biggest one, if it lasts me years and provides all the power I will need then it seems like a sensible purchase.

Something else that is swaying me to Triton is the table they make which I can use the router lift handle on, also the compatibility between the 2 should mean I don't have to mess around drilling holes and making a mess of the whole thing.

I think you'll be very happy with a Triton, I have been. I wish I'd bought their products from the beginning instead of wasting money on cheaper stuff.

Elu / Trend T10 T11 / DeWalt625 / CMT (all the same, pretty much). Makita are nice but pricey, as are Festool (VERY pricey!). I don't know the Hitachi, but they do have a good rep., and if Pete says it's good...

You want something versatile if it's your only one. The Draper has been well reviewed too and is cheaper than the others, but it hasn't been around all that long. The Tritons are an acquired taste - those who have them really like them.

Don't, whatever you do get a cheap brand new from a DIY shed. It WILL disappoint you and put you off. Get a good one s/h or save up for a good one new. The ones mentioned above have stayed the same design for ddecades, because it works as an idea, AND all the fence bars are the same size, spacing and fit in the same way (handy for all sorts of reasons you'll discover later when you get creative).

I've seen a lot of interesting designs, but the Elu concept takes some beating for handheld, and is pretty good in a router table. The Tritons *might* be as good handheld, but if they're not, you're stuck with it. It's not so bad t'other way round.

ditto on the triton I had mine since Christmas I too have the mofoo1 which I found the cheapest price on amazon here
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002 ... B002QRUG04

I have found it really good , I did a lot of research and for price point and useful features it is spot on the comparable trend routers are way to expensive for me anyway the wind handel for table use is great as no need for a router lift

I know you said it will be in the table most of the time but the hand held features are great the dust deflectors are usefull and actually work but the best feature is the wind down feature on the hand grip you turn this and the router bit lowers in a really controlled way far better than free plunge (which you can do if you want) for me doing repetitive cuts in recesses it is invaluable , once you tried it you will never want to use free plunge again , has good safety features too

the only down side is you have to purchase a 1/2inch collet as it only comes with 1/4 inch they cost around 20 pounds but for me still a good package

mark

Erbauer are good, and cheap.
It's quite a good spec at the price but the fittings are perhaps a bit on the flimsy side if you were to drop it. Solution - don't drop it! And perhaps take of the fence etc when not in use.

Another thing if you going to have in the table all the time whatever you choose think hard about how you are going to raise and lower the cutter

router lifts are expensive I guess if you buy a cheap router you can always scramble under the table every time you want to raise and lower it

the triton for its price is only router that offers above table winding other makes I have seen well 1/2 inch ones are way more expensive

There are plenty of plans for building your own cheap router lift and after market mods that you can do as well.

I bought the Triton TRA001 a couple of weeks ago and can highly recommend it.
If you haven't made the purchase yet, you might want to check out Toolstation for the Triton router. I paid £180 for mine, which was about £40 less than I was anticipating having to pay.
Their website listed the router as not available but a call to their sales department confirmed that they do in fact have limited stock available.

Virana":361t5tmq said:
Something else that is swaying me to Triton is the table they make which I can use the router lift handle on, also the compatibility between the 2 should mean I don't have to mess around drilling holes and making a mess of the whole thing.

Check your PM's.

Is the router on Toolstation mentioned above the TRA001 model or MOF001 as it doest say?

Edit: It is also listed as 2000w whereas Tritons website advertises it at 2400w

I have three routers
1. My trusty 1/4” Elu cost me £90.00 30 years ago.
2. A Bosch POF 1300 ACE cost me £10.00 two years ago at the Bentley Wood Fair from a second hand tool stand.
3. A Makita palm sander fixed to a home built router lift cost £90.00 from a discount tool store in Greenwich.
I dream of owning a ¼”-1/2” DeWalt costs about £300.00

The router I use the most at present is the Bosch POF 1300 ACE because,
1. It is the easiest to change the bits only needs one spanner (so does the Makita)
2. It starts slow building up to the desired speed (its variable)
3. It has a light over the collet which comes on when it starts.
4. It has the starter switch in the handle with a dead mans button which means both hands secure the machine when in use.
The Makita is in the router lift
1. Because it is easy to firmly secure to the lift.
2. It dose not require a sole plate.
3. Bits easily accessible when in the lift and requires only one spanner.
4. Starter button not easy to access but stop and start with an external push stop button.

The Elu is a work horse but it does have a kick when it starts you have to prepare yourself, stand firm, hold the grips and flick the switch. The collet is not the one supplied when bought and required replacing after 10 years of use. Elu have stopped manufacture but they did supply me with a replacement of a different method of locking, much better but not as good as current makes and models and currently need this one replacing. This is an important factor if buying an Elu.

I am sure there are other machines out there that cover the above but the makes mentioned are reliable not that other makes are not but these are good points to look out for. Do I need a De Walt not really but I can dream. If I was fitting kitchens I would certainly need one. Raised panels? I do them on the bench saw.

Costs? Bentley is coming up soon and there is the Essex show soon. Some of the exhibiters have a postal service so you should obtain a bargain and they are P.A.T. tested.

At present I am building an arched gate and using the Elu with a home made jig. Have to cut a small depth at a time (goes without saying) but am having a problem with the bit becoming loose. I have to listen carefully to the sound as soon as the sound pitch changes I had to stop and re-tighten up. I cant get a sharp picture to post showing the marks on the bit due to over tightening, I have repaired the jig once due to it being damaged from jumping out of the jig on starting. Why use the Elu? It’s the only router I have with a bush collet for the jig.(I will be getting one for the Bosch)

s7AEi2_UAPot_z0Bg7_jgtQ_NwfsmSPuUodnyh9UK_4=s140

DSCN5182.JPG

DSCN5184.JPG

Latest posts

Back