Router Bits

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obi Wan Kenobi

Established Member
Reaction score
"From a long time ago in a galaxy far, far aw
About to purchase my first set of router/trimmer bits so don't want anything fancy/expensive in case I damage them. Sorry I'm not able to post the links, but I'm looking at the Wickes 12 piece set for £14.99 or the Trend 12 piece set for £32.79 at Screwfix. Once I have mastered the router, then I can upgrade the bits if I need to.

Any advice on these would be much appreciated

Obi Wan

No specific advice on the sets you mention, but I purchased a set many years ago and still have a number of the bits completely unused. I would always recommend buying the bits you actually need rather than a collection you may well never use most of. Also my experience has been that the more expensive bits take more abuse than the cheap ones.

James

I'd say go for a set (Trend), yes you may never use half of them, but buying each one as you need it will work out more expensive and you obviously have to plan ahead. I have personally used most of the ones that came in my set and it's handy having different sizes of the most common shapes.

You don't sat 1/2"or 1/4" - I believe the 12 piece is 1/4".
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TREND-SET-SS8 ... SwtGlZDJiU Is sound, I found it cheaper the other day. I've had loads of use from the 1/2" set over about 25 years, and cannot fault it. You will always have a few cutters you don't use in a set, but balance the price - a couple of good single cutters will cost you what the set cost. Go to Wealden for singles as you need them. Their mail order is faultless.
https://www.wealdentool.com/index.html

I also got the 12 piece trend set Phil linked to, and it was an excellent way to start. I never expected to use the ogee profile, but all the bits have had some use now.

Obi Wan Kenobi":1feqjns4 said:
The only reason I looked at the Wickes set was that it was less than half the price of the Trend set but would not have thought it was less than half the quality!
The advice I received was to never go cheap on router bits. They spin _really_ fast, and the last thing you want is for them to explode showering you with shards of carbide, or leave burn marks all over your otherwise beautiful work, or tear out big chunks of wood.

part_time_cowboy":3f8smru5 said:
Obi Wan Kenobi":3f8smru5 said:
The only reason I looked at the Wickes set was that it was less than half the price of the Trend set but would not have thought it was less than half the quality!
The advice I received was to never go cheap on router bits. They spin _really_ fast, and the last thing you want is for them to explode showering you with shards of carbide, or leave burn marks all over your otherwise beautiful work, or tear out big chunks of wood.

You could say that about any tool though. A cheap (and poorly) made tool is likley to cause you an injury! .. but yes, when I see the 9000 bit router kits from China on ebay recommened by woodworking groups on facebook, I shudder.

I've got the Trend kit and it's a good bit of kit.

I accidentally cut into some aluminium when rounding over the edge of a worktop and it didn't appear to mark the bit.

The only downside is the case is a bit clunky to get bits out and the bits are loosely inserted in the holes. If you're not careful they'll all fall out and be jumbled up in the case - not good for longevity if they're bashing against each other.

I have two Trend router sets and the bits have never moved inside the case ever, don't know what ones you have, but can't reconcile that comment, mind you I do keep them flat and treat them with respect.

Mike

Fair enough, maybe I got a dodgy box.

Perhaps a tradesman who carries his tools to different job sites might be store them differently.

It's a minor gripe as the bits are good quality and the box is just something to store them in.

I recommend Wealden Tools. They're fantastic and keep an edge better than the cheaper sets. They are also very helpful.

Latest posts

Back