Router bits advice please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete Wild

Reaction score
Hello all, after a bit of advice on router bits. Hope this is the correct forum section, couldn't see one dedicated to routers etc

Anyway, I've had need to rebuild a step on my Daughters stairs and need to bullnose said step.

It's approx 33mm in thickness and after a quick Google, I 'think' I have two options.
1. A purpose built bull nosing bit that does the operation in one sweep
or
2. A round over bit that does it in two sweeps, one top, one bottom.

The problem, I seem to think anyway, with option 1. is that they are a specific size, so if I go too small it leaves a 'lip' on either side of the bull nosing, or if I go too big, its not round but more curved, if that makes sense.

There you go, possibly, probably, a daft question, but feel free to chip in

TIA

Hybrid solution:-
Start with a router chamfer cutter and finish with a hand plane.
Brian

Doing it by hand also means you can create a more natural curve, rather than being limited to strict fixed radius quarter circle.

Hi Pete

Not sure how familiar you are with routers but if you go with the router option, make sure you don’t do the cut in a one-er. Take several passes down to full depth. Hope I’m not telling you how to suck eggs!

Cheers
Pete

A dedicated bullnose bit will do a far better job. You will have to decide on the finished thread thickness and whether it's worth buying a bit for a one off job. For a 33 mm thickness thread you will need a 16.5 mm radius bit or slightly over - 17 mm would be ideal. Take the cut with a few passes and you will need to shim out the router out feed fence as the cut will reduce your board by a mm or two. For one off jobs like this I usually find a cheap bit on Amazon so I don't feel too guilty. :giggle:

Hi Pete

Not sure how familiar you are with routers but if you go with the router option, make sure you don’t do the cut in a one-er. Take several passes down to full depth. Hope I’m not telling you how to suck eggs!

Cheers
Pete
Mate, one thing I know is there is always someone that knows more than I do, and the art is to learn off them.
From my early DIY efforts, when I had little money to make mistakes, I developed a strong 'measure twice, cut once' mindset, this in turn has led to a 'cut a little bit off and reassess the situation' :)

Thanks, I will indeed go slow

Thanks all for your comments, while Id like to think my manual planing skills are OK, I still manage to end up somewhat wonky, so as far as this job goes, Ill skip that but def mark it down for practice on a scrap bit of wood.
As far as the router bits, I've now ordered a mid range, or at least a mid priced, rounding over bit from Amazon, so Ill see how that plays out.
Thanks to recipio's suggestion also, I might even invest in a 17mm bullnose bit and compare the two results.
I know the step is a one off but once I've got a tool I'm keen to rush around bull nosing everything if it needs it or wants it or not :)

A dedicated bullnose bit will do a far better job. You will have to decide on the finished thread thickness and whether it's worth buying a bit for a one off job. For a 33 mm thickness thread you will need a 16.5 mm radius bit or slightly over - 17 mm would be ideal. Take the cut with a few passes and you will need to shim out the router out feed fence as the cut will reduce your board by a mm or two. For one off jobs like this I usually find a cheap bit on Amazon so I don't feel too guilty. :giggle:
I was struggling to find a bull nose at that size, hence I went with the rounding over bit.
I had assumed they just didn't exist until I saw your reply, but if we say 16mm = 5/8 inch or 17mm = almost 11/16 inch, have you seen either of those sizes for sale? Would it be cheeky to ask where? As I say I have looked, but with little success

I was struggling to find a bull nose at that size, hence I went with the rounding over bit.
I had assumed they just didn't exist until I saw your reply, but if we say 16mm = 5/8 inch or 17mm = almost 11/16 inch, have you seen either of those sizes for sale? Would it be cheeky to ask where? As I say I have looked, but with little success
Cheers. You have probably checked out Wealden who do a full bullnose up to 32mm ( 16 mm radius ) Remember that you can get ' shallow ' bullnose bits mainly made in China. They rout part of a circle and look absolutely fine. I ordered a few and have no problems with them.

Back