Router bit set.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rorschach

Reaction score
I know general wisdom is to buy only what you need for each job but I would like to have a small assorted set on hand since most jobs I do are off the cuff so to speak and I like having the tools ready. Also it's Christmas and a birthday coming up and I need present suggestions.

So with that in mind, what would be a good small set of router bits, moderate quality, useful shapes. I have a Katsu router so 6mm, 1/4", 8mm or 3/8" shank is fine.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

There are loads of cheapo sets of router bits on EBay/Amazon etc and Trend do a reasonable quality 1/4" set which has a very good selection of shaped cutters. But, if you would like to dip your toes into real quality router bits then this little set from Wealdon,

https://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog/Cl ... Items.html

the TRS400 at £17.50 delivered, is stunning value. Professional bits, in a very nice box and what you give up in quantity you most certainly get in quality.

I bought them to use in my Katsu trimmer as I had never bought Wealdon bits before and they are so good that I have since bought others from their range in both 1/4" and 1/2" shank sizes. The two bearing cutters work superbly in the little trimmers, and having just added the 18v Makita to the fleet, I am staggered at the difference in cut quality and finish between the Wealdons and the old set of Freud bits I have been using.

I have heard many recommend Wealdon bits, however they seem a little overkill for my needs, I am tinkering around, not doing fine cabinetry.

phil.p":2zxifggy said:
Nearly all my individually bought cutters are Wealden - but I have used the 1/2" Trend starter set for 25 years and it's excellent value.

Ditton.

Mike

Same here. All my most used bits are Wealden but i have a set of Trend 1/4" ones that i take on jobs with me that gets used infrequently and is versatile. Wouldn't use them for prolonged work but that's not what i got them for.

I think the Trend 12 piece set will be a good starter. Plenty of useful bits in there but not too many fancy moulding bits that I am unlikely to use.

I was thinking of buying individual bits instead of the set but just 2 bits bought singly from Trend costs more than the 12 piece set which already contains then, what is going on there?

The won't be of the same quality. Trend do a Craftsmen range, which is cheaper. I personally find Trend router bits expensive and think you can get better ones cheaper from Wealden.

However, the Trend starter sets are good value if they are for occasional use.

Those were the craftpro bits, they were in the £15 each range, yet there are 12 in a box for £24.

I have 10 year old sets with bit's that are untouched. Browse wealdens or Axminster and make up your own set of bit's you'll use. Maybe even double up on ones you know will get most wear, flush trimmers, straight cutters, round overs etc.

Graham Orm":1qu1h7dh said:
I have 10 year old sets with bit's that are untouched. Browse wealdens or Axminster and make up your own set of bit's you'll use. Maybe even double up on ones you know will get most wear, flush trimmers, straight cutters, round overs etc.

That was the thought I had but I have a budget of £25 (christmas present) and for that money I can either get a 12 bit trend set, or 2 cutters singly from trend or 1 cutter from wealdon.

I bought the half inch version of that set. Biggest waste of time. Two of the cutters broke on first use. Wound up returning and have slowly built up a set of decent cutters from wealden/axminster.

Buy cheap buy twice. Your choice.

A few years ago when I started out I thought I needed to cover everything and bought a full set. It was some terrible chinese set that cost about 15 quid. I still have a few from the set, but bits broke off and they dull quickly.

I would by a couple at a time of the bits you need.

I actually find the Draper bits to be excellent (they obviously do a lot of rubbish). They are really well machined and are sold individually (don't buy the draper sets as although they are coloured the same, they seem different). I have some of the large 1/2" bits as well. A good mid range alternative.

The twelve piece trend set is a bargain, so what if you don't use all of the bits in the box, if you only use three of them you are still £ in, never had a problem with any trend router bits, they do need the cutting edge kept sharp, compared to Wealdon bits that seem to keep their edge for ever.

Mike

Back