Router bit for softening ply?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pike

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been softening the edges of 1/2" and 3/4" ply with a plunge router and guided round over bit, but now I'm going to pick up one of those 1/4" little katsu routers to make the job quicker and hopefully easier.

What size round over router bits should I be using to just soften both edges of sheet materials? 1/8"? I've read too much and have confused myself..

Any specific bit recommendations welcome.

Cheers,
Carl.

Matt yeah I was over thinking it before probably. I think a 3mm radius should do. I was just not sure about depth of cut etc on a smaller non plunge router. Seen a trend bit on ebay for a decent price.

I have a bunch of tend bits - they're pretty good quality. Wealden are also rated on here - I've been meaning to get some myself

Mike, I'm happy doing it by hand sometimes but I also like to be able to use the router for when I have a lot of inner and outer edges to soften.

Phil, you're right, I've got the katsu router now so gave it a try. A 3.2mm radius round over guided bit works fine although 6mm would be a little better and look nicer I think.

Cheers.

Ply will smash the heck out of a cutter fairly quick. Phils suggestion of sandpaper (perhaps 80 grit) should do the job fairly quickly ;)
Edit- perhaps a 45 degree bearing guided cutter followed by abrasive might be more useful?

Coley

I've been doing a fair few plywood based things lately and I've done some hand sanding and some routing to soften the edges. Sometimes I just don't want to hand sand it all as it looks nice and consistent and curved with a router. Other times I love the uniqueness of just sanding it by hand. Maybe I'll settle on one or the other but so far I've found I like both at different times for different reasons.

I don't think Phil was saying use sandpaper. He was pointing out that I probably want a bigger radius bit than the 3mm I mentioned.

I've now got a 3mm radius and a 6mm which are working well.

Cheers Coley, a bit of both might be worth a try too.

Thanks all.

Back