Router Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HRRLutherie

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I'm looking to buy a router. Since I'll mostly be cutting deep cavities into dense hardwoods, I have been looking at 1800W+ 1/2 collet routers. I stumbled across the Hitachi M12V2, or Hitachi M12VE (which simply appears to be the older model), as they appeared to be the cheapest 1800W+ routers from reputable companies.

However, do I need this much power?

Secondly, would a 1800W+ router from a more affordable company (Draper, Sip, etc.) be any good?

Finally, I've discovered that some money can be saved by buying from the US. Since UK electricity runs at 50Hz, and US electricity runs at 60Hz, I've heard that the motor will run slower (at 5/6 speed, I would assume?). Would this be an issue? Furthermore, rather than having to purchase a big yellow transformer, could the device be converted to run at 230V, or are there any places in London where this could be done?

I rate the Hitachi as a good machine with enough power, I will add though that they do seem to suffer from the speed controllers giving up. (I have two and both have done this..but after a lot of use) I am not sure about the other models you mention I am afraid.

Can't advise on the hitachi routers as i'm a porter cable guy :)

However regarding the importing of US tools. The only way you can convert for use would be with a motor change, as all of the hand held electrical tools run on 110v. So changing the motor will probably cost more than buying a router here.

Also i assume in your costings you have included VAT/ import duty on the router ;)

I can thoroughly recommend the Hitachi as a workhorse router.
I have replaced the speed controller and the armature, but the router had worked solidly through tens of kitchens, in the router table and in the Woodrat for over twelve years without any problems, so I can't complain.

Kieran

It does seem like the ideal router, but carlb40 pointed out some key flaws in my plan to import from the USA.

While I certainly would like to get the Hitachi, it is quite steep, and I was wondering if any of the sub £100 1800W+ routers would be up to the job in terms of precision, and longevity.

US tools will run Ok in the UK if you
1) Accept that they will run slightly slower due to 50Hz instead of 60Hz
2) Run off a 110v transformer ( input 240v - output 110v) which is used on builders sites. Usually bright yellow, about 300mm square ish and with 2 outlets for 110v.

Tools will run, no harm will come to them.

Al

Back