Roubo

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Journeyman_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
I am a rather lucky woodworker, package from Dieter Schmid fine tools arrived this morning. Not sure if anyone wants a WIP but if there is enough interest then I will do a build commentary.

J

IMG_05931_zpsacf92db8.jpg

Don't post dumb questions! Of COURSE we want a WIP! With lots and lots and lots of pictures for us picture whores. :mrgreen:

Cool,

Its going to be a slow burner this one, I will be sorting the wood out early feb and giving it a while to acclimatise but I will take plenty of pics. Might have to tidy up the workshop first!

J

Journeyman_uk":32mb18za said:
Cool,

Its going to be a slow burner this one, I will be sorting the wood out early feb and giving it a while to acclimatise but I will take plenty of pics. Might have to tidy up the workshop first!

J
Oh poop, and there was me thinking you was going to knock it up this weekend. :mrgreen:

Take as long as you like. I've subscribed to the thread and will pop back as and when someone posts.

Looking forward to this.

If it's not a rude question. How much did the bench crafted stuff cost with tax and postage?

Mick

>> If it's not a rude question. How much did the bench crafted stuff cost with tax and postage?

Sure Mick,

I bought the tail vise, the front leg vice, the retro scissor brace (I felt that this was a more sturdy option and actually less of a faff to fit), the knock down connector set, the printed plans and the metric bolt set as opposed to imperial, all shipped with taxes was 911 Euros, which is a shade under 750 quid.

If I had gone and got it from America it would have been about 600 quid but then I had the problem of HM Customs declaration of 3% import duty and 20% VAT so it would have been about the same. Plus if there was a problem its easier to DHL something back to Berlin than America. I must confess if I am putting pictures on here of the bench build I am going to make sure its the best bloody bench I can make so thats going to spur me on.

I looked at Richard Maguire's tail vice and leg vice but the tail vice was about the same money and the leg vice screw was wood which I didn't really fancy. It suits Richards Benches but I wanted to go all metal so I'm a bit OCD when it comes to everything matching so I plumped for it all from Benchcrafted. I have checked the contents are all present and now its sat on the side waiting for me to get my finger out and get the wood organised. I might be delayed a bit with this as I am about to make a rather major kit purchase and if it comes off I'm going to decorate the workshop before I get going with this.

J

IMG_05981_zps3df69870.jpg

Tail Vice and Slider

IMG_05971_zps57c71c56.jpg

Retro CrissCross mechanism.

IMG_05961_zps497416d8.jpg

Leg Vice and Handwheel

IMG_05951_zps290ce552.jpg

Knock Down Bolts and boy are they beefy.

IMG_06011_zps8542fa46.jpg

Plans augmented by the website details that you print and the online videos which I am going to have to find a way of capturing so I can play them on the workshop TV.

Im toying with which wood to use for the build. I know beech is traditional but Richard Maguire uses kiln dried ash and I saw in F&C his cherry behemoth. Benchcrafted make theirs out of Soft Maple but I am not aware that this is for sale in the UK at a reasonable price. I think I am going to plump with Ash so need to get some decent stuff sorted.
Chris Tribe mentioned that British Hardwoods keep their wood in heated warehouses so the MC is around 8% which would be ready to work after its acclimatised.
Any thoughts are welcome.

J

Oooooh very posh. :D

As to the vids. If you are using firefox? try video download helper ;)

Where in Yorkshire are you? Ash would work well, mine is ash. Don't worry about soft maple- they only use it because it is cheap and plentiful, much like mr Schwarz and his southern yellow pine!

Now that looks a nice collection of components ! Looking forward to this ;)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Thanks for indulging me with the prices. That box of bits look like real class.

Ash is a good price and I think it looks very nice, it also works well.

Really looking forward to this.

Mick

marcros":3f44l0gi said:
Where in Yorkshire are you? Ash would work well, mine is ash. Don't worry about soft maple- they only use it because it is cheap and plentiful, much like mr Schwarz and his southern yellow pine!

I'm Doncaster Based. I think ash will be lovely.

Hi J,

Look forward to seeing your bench build.

A suggestion for a timber merchant would be http://stuartsomerscales.com they are only about 40 miles from you & probably the cheapest. I had the Beech I built my bench from from them they also sell Ash amoungst an awful lot of other timber.

Cheers.
Doug.

PS if you want to chat about Hammer/ Felder drop me a PM

Quick update,

After nearly 2 months of waiting my felder combination is about to be delivered. Still need to get it commissioned but next week is a trip to get some ash for the project.

Should have some progress soon.

J

Back