Rotary Engine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure there is much balancing required as the engine mass is central about its point of rotation. Granted that is not the same centre of rotation as the big ends (I don’t think it can be called crankshaft as it isn’t cranked).
Maybe Nigel can confirm.
Agree, I don't think any balancing is needed. There is a small wobble associated with the master conrod moving through a small angle as it goes through a rotation - best seen on the animated engine. It would be interesting to try and calculate it.

I call it a crankshaft as I'm not sure what else to call it. It probably depends on your frame of reference, if you were fixed to the crankcase then the crankshaft rotates.

I think the reason they were eventually superceded was because of the problems in terms of torque reaction and so on if you tried to make them over a certain size. The great attraction initially was the light weight, and good power to weight ratio. As the first world war progressed it soon became apparent that it didn't really matter how heavy an engine was if it produced sufficient power to give a good power to weight ratio. So they started the war with everybody using the air cooled gnome rhone rotary, by the end they were mostly using hulking great liquid cooled V and W twelves, very much heavier but producing much more power. Fascinating to look at Janes from this period, there is a whole section devoted to the various engines. Captured examples were sent off to the RAE at Farnborough, where they examined every aspect of them, from the design and materials used to bench testing to get performance figures, and oil and fuel consumption. This information was then used to improve our own designs, the liberty engine for example which had many features inspired by the best Benz and Maybach engines.

Just realised - how on earth do you provide fuel/air mix and oil to the cylinders when the whole engine is whizzing around at a couple of thousand rpm?

Just realised - how on earth do you provide fuel/air mix and oil to the cylinders when the whole engine is whizzing around at a couple of thousand rpm?
This small engine I've made just runs on compressed air supplied through the crankshaft.

In the petrol engines the air, fuel and oil was drawn in through the crankshaft. In some of these engines there was an inlet valve in the top of the piston, some uncovered ports (similar to a two stroke) and some had over head inlet and exhaust valves.