Rosetta stone (learning a new language)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pren

Established Member
Reaction score
Hola!

Just got back from 2 weeks in Lanzarote. Loved the place. I'm rather surprised at how quickly I picked up the basics of Spanish. (the very basics, i have to say :oops: ).

I want to do more 'real' travelling and it seems that a lot of the countries I want to see have spanish as their main language so I want to improve on it.

Has anyone here learned a new language solely using language tapes/CD's/downloads? I've seen Rosetta Stone advertised as being one of the best, including a 6mth guarantee. Are they really that good?

I don't really have time to attend a night class. An OU course might work.

Thanks in advance! :D

you can get them on itunes if you have an IPOD.

I learned how to speak spanish when i worked over there, but i can't remember any of it. I actaully think (based on the spanish people i met) the spanish are the nicest people in the world

IMVHO learning a language isn't the problem, keeping the ability (unless you can speak it regularly) is.
Spanish is the most widely spoken language, globally, after Chinese. (The comment is based on the word "spoken", not computer/radio speak).

Hey, thanks for that. :)

I've done some poking about and it seems that Laird is right on the money. I think what I'll be better off doing, is getting a good handle on the basics - ie: 'Where is the... My name is ... What time is ...etc..' and then just throwing myself into a spanish speaking country.

I've seen some courses on offer whereby you spend a week or more living with a spanish family in spain, taking 20hrs of spanish lessons in a week followed by social events in a spanish speaking setting. sounds like a very enjoyable and effective experience. 8)

Pren,

I also learnt Spanish working in Spain about 40 years ago. In three months with no English speakers around, I had to learn to survive and was able to talk, argue and dream in Spanish! When i visit, it takes some time to get it back; but it just needs a little practice as the vocab is still buried deep in the brain and the pronuciation is not lost. Spanish must be one of the easiest languages to learn and as has been said one of the most useful and necessary. With Spanish you have a basic understanding and can read both Italian and Portugese.

Having been very bad at languages at school, I have also picked up both Thai and Chinese both supposedly in the top five most difficult languages; both depend on tones and do not use English script (I am tone deaf but it doesn't seem to matter).

It is much easier to learn orally in the country. You need to have to use what you have learnt; this for me is the only way it sticks in my brain. This is what children do as they grow up. With an oral process, you tend to loose it much more slowly if not used.

In China I had one-to-one tuition. This is the best and is the quickest way but expensive; it forces you to learn and revise. Having gotten the basic pronunciation text books are good.

I tried tapes before going to Spain with very limited success. They can help to supplement other means of learning.

Good luck and stick with it
Sawadi-krap, buenos dias, nihou
Richard
Bangkok

It's worth looking at reviews on the web, though you need to be aware that some negative reviews are by competing product publishers.

As for Rosetta Stone, the reviews I've seen are mixed. have a look at http://www.language-learning-advisor.co ... stone.html and also the rest of the site. i remember when I first saw it advertised ages ago I was surprised at the high cost (which is not mentioned on the adverts).

Misterfish

You have to be extremely self disciplined to learn by evening class or by your self. 99% failure rate I would guess!
OU is very good - they really make you do a lot of work with lots of good back-up.

Back