Rolling Pin.....How to????.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VikingAl

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Chaps, I have had my 1st request!. Now, I'm a complete novice here so please have patience wit me!. So far, in the month I have had my lathe I've managed to turn several snowmen & a few dibbers for the gardeners out there from an old fence post, 2 chestnut bowls & an oak bowl (all green wood), a bowl out of some strange African wood that's got a deep red colour & starts with Padua but not sure of full name, a couple of pencil holders and a little pot with a snugly fitting lid out of an old table leg.
So, my mother wants a rolling pin. The stuff I've done so far has been achieved with the help of YouTube & inspirations from your good selves, no lessons taken so far, I'm just having a go & learning from my own mistakes really. I'm assuming that any wood will do as long as its well seasoned or kiln dried. Occasionally I chop down trees & I know that say oak or beech is heavier than perhaps conifer. Would there be a preferred species for something like this or shall I just use an old fence post or one of my remaining desk legs?. Would weight of the pin help?. How on earth will I get it completely straight along the length (16" requested)?. What finish would b suitable as it needs to be food safe (no chemicals please, she's a veggie/retired hippie!).
Well, I think that's it, love to hear from you & hopefully, on completion I may be daring enough to post a pic!.
Thanks in advance!,
Al.

Beech is the most commonly used wood for rolling pins Oak is a bit to opened grained and I should think it would keep picking up the dough when it is being rolled and no finish is required or needed in fact I think one is never used well not that I know off

Sycamore is a traditional timber for kitchen utensils as it is naturally anti-bacterial. I normally either leave utensils bare or use liquid paraffin (from a chemist not a hardware store) they will ask loads of questions about constipation and piles when you buy it, but once you explain they're fine.

~Nil carborundum illegitemi~

I've just refurbished a 56 year old pin made from Beech for someone, (it was a wedding gift) Just a cleanup of the surface to remove the grain high spots from wear.
Just gave it a fresh coat of thin liquid paraffin to provide a bit of water resistance.

I use a wooden rolling pin and it's made of unfinished beech. Sycamore may be too light in weight to make a satisfactory rolling pin. I've had my beech one for years, use & wash it regularly (hand wash only), I don't know of any wooden items that are dish-washer proof!) it regularly and it shows no signs of wearing out or damage!

Find out what type of pin she wants as there are several. Traditional British (with or without handles) french, pasta, chapatti. All different shapes and sizes. As far as wood is concerned you need a tight grained wood ideally and definitely not yew or laburnum. Hawthorn and blackthorn make great ones that are different if you can get the wood big enough. Sand it until it is ultra smooth and you can finish with a food safe oil if you wish but most users just wash off and dry so it wouldn't last too long. Size and weight tends to be personal and also depends on what it is being used for, ask your mother and find out what her preferences are. If you are OK with a skew it makes it much easier and quicker to get a good straight line on it.

Pete

Once you have roughed the timber down to a cylinder and decided on the final diameter you want, use a wide parting tool and calipers to size one small section near the end (the width of the parting tool) to the diameter needed. Then do the same at the other end and at a number of other points along the length. Then you can join them all up with the same tool or a skew or similar and end up with a cylinder of constant diameter along it's length. Finish off with wide pieces of abrasive, rather than narrow, and keep them moving so that you don't sand hollows back in !

Cheers, Paul

Ok fellas, so Beech or Sycamore is the preferred timber, if not then something with a very tight grain. More than happy with not using a finish on it, just sanding it should do the job. I am in possession of a skew chisel so I'll try & put it to its required use instead of hollowing out bowls then, oops!. Dint think of using the parting tool & calipers, like that a lot!. She did have a marble pin but that broke in strange circumstances, the old fellas keeping quiet about that tho!. Luckily, they are retiring soon & off to live in sunny France, didn't realise that there were several types of pin out there so ill do a normal & French one if I can. Ideas abound!. Can't thank you all enough, cheers one and all!. :lol:
Al.

paulm":3vrx9rot said:
...Then you can join them all up with the same tool or a skew or similar and end up with a cylinder of constant diameter along it's length. Finish off with wide pieces of abrasive, rather than narrow, and keep them moving so that you don't sand hollows back in !

Cheers, Paul

In worst case, back your abrasive with a block of flat wood, the wider the better, easiest way to take off any high spots.
DSC02534.JPG

Ah, I also like that, using a block enabling a level surface, something I hadn't thought of so thank you!. I will definitely post a pic, hopefully I won't embarrass myself too much & I can guarantee that it won't be anywhere close to everything I've seen so far by you fellas but fear not, I'm sure you will appreciate my rolling pins/toothpicks!!.

You were almost there with your African wood. Padauk. I hope you put some finish on it, it has a pearlescent golden colour in the light.

Just got to find a suitable lump of seasoned beech now!. Thanks for that link tho, big insight but well beyond my capabilities however, it has inspired me somewhat and there are some really useful hints & tips which to me is gold dust!. With regards the padauk, I put on a friction polish by chestnut(?), the chap I got my lathe from threw it in amongst other stuff & I think it looks really good, in fact, I'll post a pic when I get home from work!.

woodyturner":1y6m9dn4 said:
Beech is the most commonly used wood for rolling pins Oak is a bit to opened grained and I should think it would keep picking up the dough when it is being rolled and no finish is required or needed in fact I think one is never used well not that I know off
yep My missus Had hers out of beech think its the correct timber she is a chef by trade and after talking to her its the most common timber she recalls ,all i know is it hurts when in contact with the body :lol: :lol: :lol:
Regards
Bill

VikingAl":702lvmht said:
Just got to find a suitable lump of seasoned beech now!..

don't rule out glueing a few suitable lengths together to create your 'blank' - old bed slats are perfect!

Back