Robert Sorby excellent service

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark w

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a set of six Robert Sorby bevel edge chisels, I've had them for about six years, they are my site chisels and have had a bit of a hard life. Recently the top ferrules came off five of the chisels, I guess it's because the Boxwood handles had shrunk, anyway I kept using them and eventually split the handle on the 1 inch chisel, I contacted R S for a replacement handle and a new set of ferrules, I fully expected to pay for them, R S replied by saying if I sent the set to them they would fit a new handle and new ferrules at no cost to me, I sent them off and a day or so later I had a message from Mark Furniss at RS, he said he had noticed some small cracks in the other handles and would replace the whole set free of charge.
You don't get service like that very often these days. Thanks to all at Robert Sorby, merry Christmas.

Attachments

• 20201030_153359.jpg
    20201030_153359.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 20201223_180317.jpg
    20201223_180317.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 45
Mark, thats excellent, thanks for posting as this sort of service deserves wider attention, well done RS.

Having said that, I have a couple of very early Sorby chisels, but way past any commitment from RS and I wouldn’t expect it.
However, last turning chisel I purchased from Yandles was a Sorby, more expensive yes, but you get what you pay for and your experience backs up my decision being a good choice.

Nice of them. I saw somewhere that when preparing japanese chisels the user mushrooms the top so the ferrule stays in place. Would that work for these chisels?

Nice of them. I saw somewhere that when preparing japanese chisels the user mushrooms the top so the ferrule stays in place. Would that work for these chisels?

No, the ferrules are generally lighter and stamped and the wood is some kind of boxwood or something similar with the edges (that would mushroom over) rounded off.

The key when ferrules get loose on handles like this is to have a punch handy to pinch them in place or some contact cement. If they're not gotten right away, pretty easy to lose them forever and less easy to find something the right size to fit.

I had a similar experience - split handle on an old RS chisel. They asked for a photo, being between phones and wifey being away, I explained that it would be a week or two before pic was available and two days later, new boxwood London pattern handle arrived. I had to buy a new spindle gouge last week - guess who won the business!? It wasn't the cheapest but loyalty works two ways.

I had a similar experience - split handle on an old RS chisel. They asked for a photo, being between phones and wifey being away, I explained that it would be a week or two before pic was available and two days later, new boxwood London pattern handle arrived. I had to buy a new spindle gouge last week - guess who won the business!? It wasn't the cheapest but loyalty works two ways.
Me too, I bought a set of turning chisels on the strength this.

No, the ferrules are generally lighter and stamped and the wood is some kind of boxwood or something similar with the edges (that would mushroom over) rounded off.

The key when ferrules get loose on handles like this is to have a punch handy to pinch them in place or some contact cement. If they're not gotten right away, pretty easy to lose them forever and less easy to find something the right size to fit.
Good tip, I'll remember that.

Back