Robbing Big H to pay little E.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petiegolfer

Established Member
Reaction score
Little E needs more space plus her built in wardrobe was falling apart.

Her big brother next door has a larger room and a wardrobe bigger than his needs.

Their rooms are separated by a stud wall.

:idea: went off a while ago on how to solve the issue.

4397351585_003944cef5.jpg

4397352783_76e1a630d8.jpg

4398119746_0bfc583d53.jpg

Picked away the plasterboard from the corner...

4398135334_2a67873ced.jpg

Multimaster to the rescue...

4398139162_d2ab3ef51d.jpg

Stud work out to a vertical pretty much in the right place to divide wardrobe space in half.

4398144436_621dc7a2bf.jpg

I have left Big H's existing wardrobe in place until the plaster board arrives for next weekend and jury rigged some hanging for the girl! :D

4398147026_f3f5986269.jpg

Big H now has pink things in his cupboard eeeewwww! :( The kids enjoyed playing Narnia for the rest of the day!

4398148552_e59fb5298f.jpg

Should hopefully get the stud work and plaster board up this weekend maybe before. I will then be making inserts for the spaces created. Domino and pocket hole construction probably.

Piers

Billy I would love to change the doors but still havent found something that would work to replace them. It isnt a priority for the managment either so Im going to have to live with them for a bit longer! :(

P

Petiegolfer":1fv3u2lu said:
Billy I would love to change the doors but still havent found something that would work to replace them. It isnt a priority for the managment either so Im going to have to live with them for a bit longer! :(

P

I wasn't having a go, they are just unsafe (I put my hand through one about 10 years ago and severed a few tendons, still can't move my thumb).

One job at a time though, you'll get there :D

looking good.

I am with you about them being unsafe...we have very strict rules with the kids about playing with doors.

We have 9 of the things! :evil:

P

Petiegolfer":1snc651l said:
I am with you about them being unsafe...we have very strict rules with the kids about playing with doors.

We have 9 of the things! :evil:

P

That's a lot of children, most people stop at 2 or 3 :twisted: .

I'll get my coat.

:shock: My cousin in NZ has 6 kids...I have had nightmares at the thought of adding another 3 to mine! 8-[

Doe's anyone reckon it would be worth replacing the glass in the doors with toughened...or a lot of work when new doors would be quicker and possibly not that much more expensive?

Piers

Funny studwork, with that diagonal brace.

Some twit* is going to tell you its structural.

*Nice person who knows what they are talking about.

That stud wall looks structual to me , probably not a problem if you have a cut and fix roof but if its a truss roof as i think it may be from the style of building you may have taken away some structure without supporting it another way .

:lol: Jake made me tell you , i didnt think it was worth it as you will ignore me anyway .

As always difficult to tell on tinternet....not quite sure if you fulla's are pulling my leg or being serious or both?? :)

I did think :shock: :?: :?: when I saw the cross brace....but then logic tells you it definately isnt.

The wall was put in after the roof was on as the plaster board on the ceiling travels under the top rail as opposed to up to it. I looked closely at everything before I took it down...none of the verticals had any load on them ie there were gaps of 2-3mm.

But that is all kind of irrelevant as the architects drawings confirmed it was non-structural before I started! :D :wink:

The stud wall will be replaced as well allbeit displaced slightly.

Piers

No the concern was serious - the cross-bracing is a pain in the butt thing to put into studwork so not usually there for decoration. So no leg-pulling of you (just a little between me and Jase).

But it sounds like you did the groundwork to eliminate it (which Jase thought would be the case, which is why he didn't want to say anything).

So why the cross-bracing - do the drawings give an explanation? I guess maybe chippy just had some short bits to use up.

Jake":cyph0314 said:
Funny studwork, with that diagonal brace.
I thought that when I saw it, but I know nothing about building studwork so didn't know whether it was normal or not.

I've definitely not seen it done before, but then I guess I've seen more walls with the plasterboard on than ones with it off...

I will dig out the drawings again tonight.

Here is a scetch of the house to give you an idea of how things are laid out.

4403309533_ed3646e4a0_b.jpg

The roof is a truss type and in theory dosnt need any support other than the external walls?

Piers

Looks like an odd truss roof to me . It looks like the middle bracing has been removed :? A bit like most of my posts lately :roll: Would be interested to see the architects drawings but i also would worry to much . Even if it was holding something up there is always a way around it .

JFC

My sketch isnt accurate with regards the truss roof...it merely shows the orientation of the roof.

I found the drawings last night but forgot them this morning...a bit busy as Little E is 5 today!! :shock:

I really dont know where the last 5 years have gone!!

5 years old...real age 21...she is so much more savy than her older brothers!

MickC

I know I know you pay peanuts...you get me1 :cry:

Piers

Latest posts

Back