Road Tax query?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On our local TV tonight - the Dorset police had been out catching "criminals" with their number plate recognition cameras.
One poor chap was pulled up on his way to get some new tyres to pass the MOT (which was a month over due) - his car was impounded and with the fines etc will cost him £500 ---Ouch!!

Rod

Granted Dick, actually I'm pro police, but regrettably the number plate business is down to revenue collection. Traffic police numbers have fallen by 15% since the mass spread of cameras, cameras don't catch drunks, they don't catch speeding motor bikes 'cos they have no number plate at the front and they don't catch unlicensed and uninsured drivers and they don't catch foreign truck drivers who have been driving too long. Only the humble copper can do that.

Roy.

I always get a reminder from DVLA, well in advance and do it online,
I print out a reciept, and if I was stopped for not showing the disc for no fault of my own (ie postal strike) I would have faith in the police to show common sense, I have nothing but praise for men(and women) who are meant to handcuff miscreants but who themselves are cuffed due to meddling from politicians, I think the majority join up to make a difference but are soon dissillusioned by targets.
Rich.

We have a traffic warden in Cardigan, a lady, and she is everything that the press suggests know longer exists. During the summer our population quadruples and there is no where enough parking places for the normal number.
When I went into hospital I arranged access to my bank account for my family but when I came out it was easier for me to do it. But I had trouble walking, so my son parked illegally outside the bank. The traffic warden approached and my son explained, she stood there and as soon as a legal site appeared a few cars back she stopped the traffic and guided my son into it. Beat that!

Roy.

"Catching criminals" were the words used by the Dorset police inspector - they can check automatically the Licence, MOT and car insurance (of the registered user) and the actual driver when stopped.

In fact the programme went on to say that the fixed cameras dotted around the country (not the speed cameras) record Nos., speed and times and the information is stored for 2years. The police do not actively use this info (it's used by systems like Traffic Master for locating traffic jams) but they could i.e. they could quite easily work out your average speed over various nodes and do you for speeding.
Big Brother is watching!!

Rod

Harbo":9d7drpmv said:
The police do not actively use this info ... but ... they could quite easily work out your average speed over various nodes and do you for speeding.
I wonder what the easiest way to avoid a speeding fine is. Let me think ...... :)

Ray

Rich":25hqithc said:
I always get a reminder from DVLA, well in advance and do it online,

Except, as I found out when you receive the reminder from DVLA you can't then immediately do it on line. You have to wait until two weeks before it is due and by that time the reminder is under a pile of paperwork and you have forgotten about it.

Andrew

Whereas once upon a time your local copper would give you a gentle reminder and then check you'd dealt with it. But common sense has been replaced by technology.

Roy.

To be fair there are large areas of the country where tax, insurance and a valid license are considered to be optional. This prevents most of that (but not the false numberplate crooks - but apparently the NR cameras can do that by checking against the national database).

I usually ask this kind of thing with a post on policespecials.com forum and watch the sods jump all over your question, both regs specials and wannabes.

Sometimes its much fun, and you sure get a good look at plods attitude problems.

the other day I was in the car of my american mate and I notice that his road tax was expired 6 months ago :shock:, he totally forgot it when he move house 8 months ago. I told him that he was in serios troubles but you know what? he when to the nearest Road Tax office the next day pay the tax for a year and no trouble at all :wink:

I had a problem last month, DVLA would not renew my tax on the telephone (automatic system) because they said no insurance was in force for the period of the new tax disc. The present insurance was in force and I had paid my insurance company 7 days earlier for the new years cover.

So you purchase a new car, new tax, new insurance (in my case) everything comes due the same date, but DVLA/Insurance company state it takes 18 days to notify insurance renewals to DVLA.

So I had to go into town and park, queue, and go to a post office acceptable to the DVLA before I could pay.

Obviously overpaid officials in the system again who cant run a barrow.

devonwoody":kala86cs said:
Obviously overpaid officials in the system again who cant run a barrow.

Hi DW

I would have to take issue with this rather sweeping statement.

I work at the DVLA in Swansea. Not for them, but for one of their subcontractors and I am well versed in the capabilities of their IT systems. I could tell you facts and figures about the DVLA that would make you cringe.

The vast majority of clerks who deal with the public are very poorly paid and like a lot of customer facing people have to deal with an often enraged and rude public. It is not their fault if their IT systems which check valid and current driving info does not show your insurance as valid.

Frustrating for you I know, but not their fault. In the main the clerks do a job that many of us would not do for the reward they get.

I would however agree that there are overpaid officials within the DVLA who, when it comes to spending public funds, 'Can't run a barrow'

Are they working from their own db that gets updated from the insurance companies one or from the insurers online db though ?.

At least we agreed about the barrow bit :)

You cant renew your road tax more than 15 days hence, and insurance details are not available for 18 days.

So you cant renew on the telephone and I doubt on the web.

Someone needs the boot.

Back