Riving knife

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you use riving knife or blade guard with table saw?

• Use Neither

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only use riving knife

• Only use blade guard

• Use both

• Total voters
Will never, ever use a table saw (again!!) without the riving knife.

I view it as an absolutely crucial bit of kit.

Crown guard came off a while ago to cut a tenon and I'm afraid I've just never got round to putting it back :oops: :oops:

I suspect if I don't do it soon I will be visiting casualty but why is it even this thought doesn't make me go out and fit it NOW!!

(and I won't admit to what I do for a living!!)

Oh - Just had another thought.....with reference to my crown guard - it hangs from the joists of the ceiling and has its own extraction. But what I was going to say, that from experience I NEVER stand directly behind the saw blade - if something does bind as it goes through or a dead knot becomes verry live again - I'm not in the firing line!

Chris.

Scrums":2i7baw57 said:
Sorry guys - riving knives are a pain in the wotsit.......
They do, however alleviate some of the problems of kickback.....

Philly":2i7baw57 said:
My personal approach is this: ......

.....When crosscutting, fit fine cut blade and remove knife.
Then, Philly, I suggest that you invest in a decent adjustable overhead guard such the Excalibur and a saw which runs a proper riving knife.... :wink:

It never ceases to amaze me that people willfully put themselves at risk. Ho hum. You can lead a horse, etc.....

Scrit

a few years back when i had full workshop,was blind cutting a piece of 7x3 braz mahog about 36inch long. the saw was a 28inch wadkin rip saw took the riving knife out!!!!!!! still had the crown guard on but wound up. the piece kicked back and hit me in the side,was totally winded and in agony. had one hell of a bruise.
as scrit says not just the blade exposed that can bite, riving knife is there for a reason

Scrit
A decent overhead is on my list. When crosscutting the riving knive doesn't actually help (and of course I can't cut those naughty tablesaw joints with it on :lol: )
As to leading a horse-woodworking is a potentially dangerous pastime. You weigh up the risks and make your own informed decision.
Cheers
Philly :D

Back