Riving knife

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you use riving knife or blade guard with table saw?

• Use Neither

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only use riving knife

• Only use blade guard

• Use both

• Total voters

martlewis

Established Member
Reaction score
I personally will admit I don't use a blade guard on my table saw... Me bad, but the riving knife is a lifesaver. For pure curiousity sakes I was wondering what people use on their saws, knife, guard, both or neither, and their opinions on the subject? This is purely opinions and not for advice, you should always use knife and blade guard :oops:

Modedit IT IS THE ADVICE OF UKWORKSHOP THAT YOU ALWAYS USE A RIVING KNIFE AND CROWN GUARD.

in my opinion, I favour ten fingers.
I know people who don't like saw guards, they usually favour 8 or 9.

I use both, not only does the guard have the obvious safety advantages but linked to my extractor it stops a lot of fine airbourne dust.

Jason

Have a large table saw (90mm depth of cut) on which I always use both.
On the rare occasions I need to cut a rebate or similar with a tablesaw,I have a small benchtop model with cut-down riving knife,but no crown guard.

Andrew

generally speaking I use both. Although I am prepared to remove both for nibbling tenons - fingers well out of the way, both hands on sliding carriage.

Andy

After a trip to hospital for 5 stiches in my thumb three months ago, I use both. I haven't needed to make any tenons since but when I do I'll probably use the router.

I always use a riving knife, the knife on my table saw is set below top of blade. I use the blade guard for all total cuts, and have a perspex guard covering the blade fixed to the rip fence when grooving/housing etc.

senior":wbtxyky4 said:
in my opinion, I favour ten fingers.
I know people who don't like saw guards, they usually favour 8 or 9.

use both plus a long push stick now I've lost the tip of my left thumb :shock: :shock:
you don't realize how useful your thumb is until you can't use it properly
believe me I know

Andy

The first time I cut myself on a saw was when the guard was on and until taking my saw out of the workshop I did not use a guard.

I now have my saw rail and that will do me and I am lucky as I still have all my fingers :whistle:

Oh I forgot - I did this once and have no intention of doing it again.

DSCN4679.jpg

I did not do the whole cut in one pass about 1/2" at a time IIRC. It was still scary.

Andy

Dedee - definitely one to do with a very clear head, not recommended tho' I have done it myself several times, illegal now, I believe in the trade to do this - Rob

I usually use both but have on occasion needed to remove the guard and the knife. I'm thinking of modifying the riving knife as the top is higher than the blade and so doesn't allow the work to pass except when there is a full depth cut, so cutting tennons are not possible without a mo - thus the need to remove it completely.

jasonB":l7pvhujy said:
I use both, not only does the guard have the obvious safety advantages but linked to my extractor it stops a lot of fine airbourne dust.

Jason

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Two in one, health & Safety.

Sorry guys - riving knives are a pain in the wotsit......having said that, I do like to end the day with the same number of fingers I was born with ( 8 ) (....+2 thumbs) so always a crown guard in place and a push stick readily at hand.

Though I rarely resaw or tenon on the table nowadays. It's about the only thing I haven't cut myself on!

Chris.

I have never used a crown guard I am afraid, but always use a riving knife. The riving knife on my machine is a little lower than the blade and rises and falls with it luckily. I did once have a piece of wood close behind a blade and it scared the hell out of me so since then I have always made sure there is a riving knife fitted. I also always use push sticks as these can be replaced, fingers cannot. Speaking of fingers, I do have all mine still, touch wood. :wink:

My personal approach is this:

When ripping, fit a rip blade and riving knife.
When crosscutting, fit fine cut blade and remove knife.

The guard I find obscures the cut and is more of a nuisance than a benefit, so is never used (even in photo shoots :wink: ). I may make a better replacement with built in dust extraction in the future but for now this is how I work.
And (although this should go without saying) I ALWAYS use full concentration and have a healthy respect for the machine. But this doesn't prevent me using it to its full abilities.
Philly :D

I always use both but I cheat with the crown guard which is bolted to the knife by making the guard just tight enough to stay put if lifted up so I can see the cut to start with then vibration makes the guard drop down as I continue
I am also a great fan of push sticks

Nigel

I am another with a scar on his thumb curtesy of an unguarded table saw. Now I use both a riving knife and a guard. Perspex guard makes seeing the start of the cut possible.

Bob

I'm with Philly, however "there's no more important safety rule, than to wear these safety glasses"

Back