Ricky - our Westie

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hanser

Established Member
Reaction score
Sadly, we had to let Ricky go today - just shy of his 14th birthday owing to a combination of old age and a cancer. I can't really describe how close we have been and how much he will be missed. A very close and faithful friend and a true ambassador for the Westie breed.

A photo from happier times

The family is feeling a bit bruised today. They say it gets easier with time. I hope so.

Hanser,

Very sorry for your family's loss - Ricky certainly looks quite the charmer.

Kev

Sorry to hear your news, they really do become part of the family.
Yes it will get better but you'll never forget. My wife still takes a large step at the bottom of the stairs as that's where one of our border collies used to lie - and we lost her nearly 30 years ago!

Sorry about Ricky. Without a doubt they become full members of the family and it's extremely sad when they go.

John

so sorry for your loss
they all have such wonderful characters and as such become a big, happy part of our lives.which is why we miss them so much.
paul-c

Very sorry to hear your news. It gets easier.

We lost a much loved, extremely soft cross breed a couple of years ago after being attacked by another dog in her later years. She died of a heart attack a few days later. I was awakened by the thudding of her falling down stairs after trying to get to us in the night, obviously distressed. She was dead at the bottom when we got to her. My wife was devastated and the whole family was in shock. We have her ashes with a picture on the window sill.

Moving on we now have 2, both rescue dogs, a very timid puppy Patterdale cross and a very cheeky Lancashire heeler dog. They have not replaced Sally but fill the void nicely and give us lots of pleasure and love as well as having a very cushy life.

It gets better as time passes, we both look at Sally's picture and speak of her often.

Guys

My wife and I thank you for your kind words and the time you have taken to post. My feelings have taken me a little by surprise especially as the bond between my wife and Ricky was the stronger. This goes back to a 3 year period earlier in Rick's life when I worked away from home and he became protective of her.

Perhaps I shouldn't have put Rick's photo as a screen saver just yet. Oooops something in the eye again.

A good weekend to you all.

Sorry for you loss people that do not have pets don't understand the attachment and bond that you have with dogs or cats or any of our little friends, But just remember all the good times you had it is hard very hard but through time it gets a wee bit easier and if like me you decide on another pet you will love him/her you might not feel the bond right away as each have their own personality but it is a friendship that is second to none .
Jim

Back