I'm not 'appy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
I have bought a lot of stuff from axminster, and have had some good and some that was, shall we say, a liittle rough around the edges but on the whole, I have been happy with the service.
For my birthday last month I ordered a bench drill press, having put up with a wolf stand and a power drill combination for almost 20 years.

Folk with good memories will know the problems I have with axminsters carrier TNT. They believe I live in a different country than I actually do and try to deliver my things to istanbul. So I have to give them a friends address. They still get this wrong and send stuff a 100 miles west to where I actually live (3 out of 3 deliveries wrong so far. why do we have postcodes?).

Ok, that said, my new bench drill arrived tuesday (4 days late due to wrong depot and re routing). Unpacked it and step one was to bolt the pillar to the base with the three 8 mm bolts provided. Problem? oh yes, I'm not clever enough to get the 8 mm bolts to fit the 1/4" threaded holes in the base.

Luckily my engineering skills are a bit higher than my woodworking ones so i drilled out and retapped the cast iron base.

When I got it all assembled I discovered the rotating table central hole does not line up with the drill. An 8 mm drill fouls the front edge of the large hole. Even I'm not good enough to re-cast the table so I shall have to live with that.

When i powered it up at the wall socket there was a loud rapid clicking noise from the NVR switch. Again, i know about electricity. The switch had been wired backwards.
Onwards, as they say.

In the box I found a neat little plastic knob that looks like a push / pull thing. Even with my best magnifying glass I cant find a place that this belongs despite consulting the full colour manual that is very confusing because it covers about 6 different models at the same time.

Right, I've re tapped the holes, re wired the switch, removed the surplus to requirements knob. Its time to set the belt speeds.

The motor is on a side pivot plate with a bar to push the motor into belt tension. Theres an 8 mm bolt to tighten down on the bar to hold the motor. Yes?
No.

There is no thread inside the lug that the bar slides through. Now I'm in trouble for the first time. The 8 mm bolts falls into the hole, so i would need to tap that out to 10 mm. Except there isnt enough meat in the metal at the sides to allow 10 mm thread.

I'm considering options right now, I suspect I will have to make a threaded bar with locknuts either side of the lug (wheres Nolegs when you need him, huh)?

Ordinarily I wouldnt have gotten into it and just repacked the thing, but due to a 2 week each way trip and the cost of shipping it back, chucking it back at axminster is not going to happen. I am going to persevere and get this piece of chinese at its very best engineering working properly.

I cant use the words I want to use to describe this machine, blacksmiths would die of embarrassment. I was eagerly awaiting it, now, its not so much fun.

Beware if youre thinking of buying an axminster bench drill, unless you live close enough to one of their stores to be able to go swap parts out till you get a good one.

Oh dear, I can see why you're not happy!

How can they send out something like this? Seriously, how? 999 people out of a thousand wouldn't be able to use it and would have no choice but to do a return, how's that a good business model for them?!

Unfortunately, Bob, some of the problems you experience are down to your location. When you are supplied rubbish, as in this case, returning for a refund is not easy. I do believe Axminster are not the company they were. They are out of stock far too often but to be honest apart from Xcaliber blades I have been quite happy with the quality of most things I have bought from them. This post of yours will not encourage me to buy from them in future. If you contact them let us know how you get on.

Bill

Its the 13 mm chuck bench drill hobby version.

I have contacted axminster, and of course they have offered replacements, but that really is NOT the point, and I'm not talking about my particular location.

I bought a 350 bandsaw from them. The top wheel bearings lasted about an hour of rotation before clacking to them selves. The drive belt lasted about 4 hours worth.

Chinese "quality" control jokes are no longer funny and I cant for the life of me understand the company attitude of "random testing" (their words, not mine). They should have someone at the factory kicking all the junk back at them.

The difference between doing something properly and doing something badly is minute. Far less than the constant "oh we will replace that for you sir" costs.

Banjer bill, NONE of these problems are down to my location. If I was still in the UK, this machine would STILL be rubbish. I know I have a supply chain issue, and I am prepared to do it myself in order to save time, but I should not have to do any thing on a brand new out the box machine, before I even get to drill a hole with it.

Definitely need model number etc. so that members know that it's one to avoid.

Covering the cost of the glitzy showrooms has obviously become the priority of the bean counters.

You would have thought any company with a modicum of common retail sense would have subjected a piece of machinery to a pre-shipment assembly and fit for purpose check before shipping to a destination some 8+ hrs flying time away.
Even if it entailed a service charge as part of the distance shipping costs.

Chas, you need to change airlines mate. those string and paper machines are obsolete nowadays, I can fly to heathrow in just under 5.
But it bugs me how bad all this stuff is.

Extra preparation at the ware house should not be necessary. I dont ask for special treatment, I ask for what I buy to what I asked for, not some kit of mismatched parts that needs two days "fettling" at my expense rather than the company's.
All of this should be done at the factory. The company that buys the machines should be rejecting all this rubbish.
if axminster or any other big company sent back a years worth of rejects to the factory at the factorys expense, something would be done about it you bet.
Sorry, so busy ranting here....
Axminster AHDP13B

I was looking at both their 350 bandsaw and their small 13mm hobby drill press, you might have saved me a lot of hassle and pushed me to rethink a few purchases, thanks for posting.

sunnybob":kuccin3u said:
Chas, you need to change airlines mate. those string and paper machines are obsolete nowadays, I can fly to heathrow in just under 5.
Bet you can't do it in 5 from Exeter (their nearest)
sunnybob":kuccin3u said:
if axminster or any other big company sent back a years worth of rejects to the factory at the factorys expense, something would be done about it you bet..

A sign of lack of retail competition I suspect associated with the relatively low volume retail turnover, the company can weather the negative vibes count.

In Leicester (fashion sewing sweat shop community) a slight error in stitch count on checked garments upon receipt can be all the excuse needed by a High Street or Internet/Shopping channel buyer to reject a batch of 10 thousand garments.
No comeback by the supplier, it's not to speck, regardless of the real reason for sending back.

G7... sadly, this problem covers all makes of woodworking machinery. There are good ones as well as bad.
Since replacing the shoddy parts on the bandsaw its been a fantastic piece of kit. If youve seen any of my boxes on here they have all been made on that machine. I especially love the fence arrangement. I would (and do) still say the amxminster 350 is a good bandsaw let down by management penny pinching. And replacing those p[arts was a simple and cheap job. Axminster were prepared to send the parts, I just didnt want to wait so I bought new bearings and belt from a normal auto parts store at less than £15 all in.

Sorry to hear about your woes and I understand why you are reluctant to return the machine and don't want to deal with the long shipping waits.
I agree no one should have to modify a new machine to get it working. Minor Fetteling to improve accuracy is Ok but having to drill and tap new holes is an absolute no in my opinion. The supplier should provide a fully functioning machine. I'd be worried that when drilling it I come across a weak point in the casting and it cracks. The supplier would not take it back if they see you've taken a drill to it.

I'd also be worried that the supplier may refuse an unrelated warranty claim in the future if they see evidence of you modifying it elsewhere. I might be tempted to drill a non functional part like the case. But never a working part of the machine.

Wrong fixing bolts, wrong size table, it sounds a bit like someone has made up a drill from all the other spares they have laying around from other drills.

Hope you get it fixed soon SunnyBob

-Neil

Neil, yes i agree with everything you say. The scale of faults on this is unacceptable by any ones standards.
I go into every UK purchase with eyes wide open. knowing that i will have at least some work to do.
If I did not have the mechanical engineering background I have, I would never buy long distance.

What annoys me so much is the complete indifference of the company's involved. they sell any and everything that comes off the line, and just take pot luck as to how many people throw back the rejects. Its the company;s responsibility to keep control on the factory and inspect the machines at source.

While I agree that the errors in this case significantly affect the performance of the machine, you have bought something clearly described as 'hobby' level. It is always going to need a bit of fettling to do what you want it to do. Many of us complain about the price of top end kit such as Festool or Lie Neilson, but it is that price in part because it works first time out of the box, has been through rigerous QC and testing prior to shipping and has been finished to an excellent standard. That has a cost associated with it. I have one of the Axminster Trade pillar drills and it is a fantastic bit of kit. It cost more, but it replaced an old Axminster perform drill press and is a different league. Axminster (and other companies) offer a variety of machines at diferent price points and a large part of that difference is the accuracy and quality of the different models. Whether the entry level hobby machines are suitable for our expectations is a differnet question - for someone who wants to simply stick a hole in a bit of wood these things are fine. A false table would get round you alignment issue with the cast table for example. For someone who wants a hole with no run out in the quill, easily adjustable variable speed and ultra smooth bearings to redue noise complete with finished castings containing no burrs etc etc hobby level is probably not what you should be aiming for.

From what you have said Axminster have offered a replacement. They are doing their best to rectify an identified fault. What they cannot do however is significantly increase the quality of the machine without increasing the price. They get round this by offering different models so there is choice. If they only offered the trade range many people wouldn't be able to justify the cost simply to 'stick a hole in a bit of wood' and customers would revert back to other sellers who did offer cheaper models.

Apologies if this sounds like a rant, it is not aimed at you, but as consumers I think we do need to understand that quality comes at a price, and that buying cheap can be a false economy sometimes. That is not to say that high price always equals quality - sometime you are paying for a name, but generally entry level machines are never going to be as good as higher rated machines. For some they are 'good enough' for others they are a piece of scrap.

Steve

I have to say I cannot understand how it is considered acceptable to sell potentially dangerous machinery that is not fit for purpose. The price point is irrelevant - it should do what it says on the box, and it should do it safely.

Like many others here, I am not convinced about the direction that Axminster is moving in and, purely from inspection of their machines in the showrooms, I would change their machine ratings as follows:
Hobby range would become B & Q range
Trade would become hobby/light trade
Axminster, I believe, are still a good company, trying to do the right thing by their customers, but struggling to find the right business model in a rapidly changing world full of uncertainties. I think if I was living abroad, and especially if I was buying from the hobby range, I would ask them to do a PDI inspection on the actual machine being sent to me. There would be a cost to the customer, but I would like to think Axy would try to keep that down to a reasonable level.

Duncan

I think you are cutting Axminster a bit too much slack here. I haven't got easy access to the Axminster web site to check. But I'm sure their definition of hobby machines is that you should only use it a few hours a week. You can't run it continuous and the machines precision might not be as good as more premium brands. It says nothing about parts might not even fit together or you might have to build sub assembly ​tables to ensure you don't drill into the table we supplied 'cos the hole is in the wrong place.
Fundamental stuff like you can't even assemble it means that Axminster should be checking the rest of their stock and correcting all the rest and asking for a significant refund from the supplier.. Or they send the lot back to them.
Edit: Axminster might already be doing this of course.

Neil

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Whether its rated "hobby" or any other grade, nowhere in the literature does it say engineering skills and tools required to assemble it.
Or electrical skills required to make it safe before using.
Or, even after using those skills, you still wont be able to use it properly because our factory cant be bothered to check if theres a thread inside that hole or not.
Any one of those faults make the machine unusable. THREE on the same machine is not "just one of those friday afternoon machines", its zero quality control and just throw it in the box right at the factory.
How does a base threaded for 1/4" imperial get into a metric assembly line?

I have four pieces of axminster machinery (2 axminster and 2 jet), THREE of them had faults within the first 5 five hours of use. The bandsaw didnt even run for 5 hours before the bearings broke up. What "rating" does that give the machine?

Each time I have been offered a replacement but as that just means waiting a month and then taking a chance of getting the same again I have fixed them all myself.
luckily I dont think i need any more machinery now.

The problem with Axminster is they have turned from a good sized internet/mail and telephone operation and decided to become buy them cheap, stack em high operation by opening shops across the UK.

I used to use them a lot, the only things I tend to buy are pocket screws and titebond glue.

We have had a couple of things break/ wear out recently and when I rang for spares, I was told that it would take 6-8 weeks to get the bits.

I am talking things like spindle cutter block screws here not major parts, which any other company who make a big song and dance about being there for schools and industry would have had.

I was fortunate that there were other suppliers in the UK that had parts to sort out the issues.

I guess that their spares are now held in a warehouse in China and they have to get them shipped on an individual basis.

I would certainly never buy any machinery, power tools etc from them now.

I was spending £ 4-5k a year at one point.

Now it is about £500 and that will be on glue mostly.

Duncan A":166g9jjo said:
I have to say I cannot understand how it is considered acceptable to sell potentially dangerous machinery that is not fit for purpose. The price point is irrelevant - it should do what it says on the box, and it should do it safely.

This is right - it simply isn't acceptable for things not to work as they're supposed to.

I work with cameras for a living. If a piece of kit isn't 100% (however cheap or expensive), we don't fettle and compensate, it's simply rubbish and it goes back. As a newbie to working with wood, I'm surprised how tolerant people are of poor quality standards.

"As a newbie to working with wood, I'm surprised how tolerant people are of poor quality standards."

Chris, I started woodworking as a retirement hobby three years ago after a lifetime in BIG machinery with virtually zero faults from new. Almost every woodworking power operated item I have bought has needed "fettling". I almost wore my welcome out here going on about it. i seem to be in the very small minority prepared to complain.

Axminster has responded with a gift voucher of roughly 10% of the value. Obviously I have accepted it, but that really and truly is NOT the point.
Nothing else to add now, move along please.

Back