Richard56's A1

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richard56

Established Member
Reaction score
Well you have started me off now.
I don't really know anything about it's condition or what bits are missing. I do have some questions.
What type of wood for replacing the arms.
And does anyone have a close up pic of how the blade fits in?
Thanks in advance.
Rich
uploadfromtaptalk1375387138454.jpg

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1375387138454.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1375387138454.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 780
Oh my word this seems to be catching.
I used beech for mine because that is what I had, pics of clamping are on other thread.
Keep us informed of progress.

Beech is good.
When I replaced mine many years ago I used Ash because a place I used to work where they made Grain cleaners they used strips of Ash for the springs and I thought it would work well on the Fretsaw.

However I reckon you could use most woods, after all if they don't work you can always replace again. :)

It's not only catching. I have a double dose
uploadfromtaptalk1375393856051.jpg

They came as a job lot :grin:
I really like the Gem, I don't think it needs so much work either.
Is it the same style clamps for the Gem?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1375393856051.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1375393856051.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 739
I don't own a Gem but if I remember correctly the Gem had a simple wing nut blade fixing and not the type with quick release cam as fitted to the A1 machine.

I spotted a Gem at Pickering traction engine rally yesterday and made a beeline for it, but when I got there I found the bottom half had been drastically hacked about and an electric motor fitted. I have visions of the inspection pit in my garage being full of three legged fret saws all trying to escape.

Martin.

powertools":31qgzwbd said:
Oh my word this seems to be catching.
I used beech for mine because that is what I had, pics of clamping are on other thread.
Keep us informed of progress.

IIRC (when I patched the broken arm long ago on mine) the originals are some kind of light mahogany, e.g. Sapele.

You do NOT want a dense wood, or "extra" thickness in the arms, since they're the main part of the oscillating mass.

BugBear

As the happy owner of a vintage treadle fretsaw I'm really pleased to see these ingenious machines getting a bit of a revival.

I've found several benefits -

- I can listen to the radio while I work
- the speed is immediately variable
- the control is instant and instinctive - if I think that I need the machine to go slower or faster, it happens, with no controls in between the thought and the effect.

martinka":313g2mhr said:
I spotted a Gem at Pickering traction engine rally yesterday and made a beeline for it, but when I got there I found the bottom half had been drastically hacked about and an electric motor fitted. I have visions of the inspection pit in my garage being full of three legged fret saws all trying to escape.

Martin.
I honestly believe you can not have too many

bugbear":2w57v5mx said:
IIRC (when I patched the broken arm long ago on mine) the originals are some kind of light mahogany, e.g. Sapele.

You do NOT want a dense wood, or "extra" thickness in the arms, since they're the main part of the oscillating mass.

BugBear
That information has has made my day. I did think this but could not word my question to ask it properly. Oscillating mass sounds so much better than springiness and more accurate

AndyT":3pick3r4 said:
As the happy owner of a vintage treadle fretsaw I'm really pleased to see these ingenious machines getting a bit of a revival.

I've found several benefits -

- I can listen to the radio while I work
- the speed is immediately variable
- the control is instant and instinctive - if I think that I need the machine to go slower or faster, it happens, with no controls in between the thought and the effect.

The A1 and the Gem will be eternally grateful to you for the 'Reviver' formula. I had been thinking of ways to clean it up. All seemed far too extreme as I want to try to keep it's 'Used for a lifetime'. Workshop look.
I am away to the hardware now to buy the ingredients.

I am missing the top clamp off the A1. I read on here Hobby do not do spares.
Powertools posted this picture and as I am surprising myself on how patient I can be I have decided to try to make one.
I have the bottom clamp for scale.

What metal should I use?

uploadfromtaptalk1375780433438.jpg

Thanks
Rich

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1375780433438.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1375780433438.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 606
I just did a quick scientific test (I tried filing the parts :) and I'd say mild steel would do for everything.

I'm needing to know the length of the arms as i have two different lengths. I suspect 21.5" is correct but I don't want to be wrong.

Martin.

martinka":367a0zf1 said:
I'm needing to know the length of the arms as i have two different lengths. I suspect 21.5" is correct but I don't want to be wrong.

Martin.

Thanks for doing the science :)

The arms on mine are 21.5" also.

Latest posts

Back