Reusable Respirator Life Expectancy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J_Ashley

Established Member
Reaction score
Just out of interest, roughly how long can the reusable respirators be expected to last (e.g. 3M 4000 series)? I occasionally hoover mine out and wipe it down and I’ve never noticed any extra pressure on breathing through it, but I’m guessing it may need replacing at some point. I appreciate that peak performance might drop off rather soon, but roughly how long do they stay useful against general wood dust?

Like polly says, constant re use past advised dates can be a big danger due to bacteria growing in the moist filter material. Thats how legionnaires disease was first diagnosed, in air con units that had not been maintained properly.

As far as the filter working, thats just dependant on when the material gets so clogged that air cant get through. A partially blocked filter is actually more efficient at filtering than a brand new one. When you realise you are having to breathe hard is when they are no longer worthwhile.

If the cartridges are expensive enough to want to keep reusing, then I think you should look for a spray bactericide.

Any respirator is only as good as the seal it makes to your face, if you have a beard they are useless, then the options are limited to a more efficient full face mask.

Mike

Thanks for the advice – I’ve ordered a new JSP Force 8 P3 to tie me over for now, as I want to change over to a powered respirator but nothing convinces me enough to move passed deliberation. My reason is more dermatological as I find the half mask seal irritates my skin, so the idea of the mask sitting off my face appeals. I guess the Axminster/Powercap or the Trend Airshield are the only real options, as I think the step up to the high end ones (e.g. 3M) would be overkill. The Trend seems to offer the better protection, but, whilst performance looks good, build quality for price seems to be a concern for other users.

I have the Trend Airshield and find it to be excellent, in over six years I have not had a single issue, the air flow down the face is very refreshing.

Mike

The life expectancy of filter masks has always been an issue, especially with work place HSE. If I've had to wear one all day, I always replace the cartridge each day. That's mainly because I managed to acquire a huge bow full of them. If I had to pay for them wouldn't be so casual about changing.

Latest posts

Back