Restoring / Finishing Bench Plane Sole

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aesmith

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

This is a junk shop purchase, and needed a bit of a clean up before putting into service. What I'm finding is that the plane doesn't seem to run easily on the work, there's more friction and resistance than I'd expect even with a bit of wax. I think I have the sole pretty clean and its smooth to the touch so I'm a bit puzzled.

I'm out of practice because my other bench planes were all bought and/or restored ages ago and I can't remember what I did in the past. Would you normally smooth the sole with Wet & Dry (maybe 400 grit or similar)? Anything else to suggest?

I might have another try with some solvent to see if there's any "gunge" left that I haven't cleaned off - some of the rest of the plane had some strange contamination that turned into black smears while I was cleaning.

Ta in advance, Tony S

aesmith":2ubtbfje said:
Hi,

This is a junk shop purchase, and needed a bit of a clean up before putting into service. What I'm finding is that the plane doesn't seem to run easily on the work, there's more friction and resistance than I'd expect even with a bit of wax. I think I have the sole pretty clean and its smooth to the touch so I'm a bit puzzled.

I'm out of practice because my other bench planes were all bought and/or restored ages ago and I can't remember what I did in the past. Would you normally smooth the sole with Wet & Dry (maybe 400 grit or similar)? Anything else to suggest?

I might have another try with some solvent to see if there's any "gunge" left that I haven't cleaned off - some of the rest of the plane had some strange contamination that turned into black smears while I was cleaning.

Ta in advance, Tony S

Try comparing the friction with one of your "known good" planes with the blade retracted (on both planes).

BugBear

bugbear":2xl1qjog said:
Try comparing the friction with one of your "known good" planes with the blade retracted (on both planes).
Chears, will do so. I guess you're thinking this could be "all in my head" and you could be right at that.

aesmith":2kb5kayc said:
bugbear":2kb5kayc said:
Cheers, will do so. I guess you're thinking this could be "all in my head" and you could be right at that.

No. I'm thinking what you describe as "high friction" might be caused by a variation in cutting action, not sole friction.

It's plausible, and easy to check.

BugBear

Latest posts

Back