respirator?airshield

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lincs1963

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening all, I am in the market for a respirator or similar such as the trend airshield. I have looked at ones that use compressed air and an air line and also the battery powered ones. I have about 80 sheets of mrmdf to convert into various mouldings etc. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations or more importantly things to avoid!
so if you have one and don't mind sharing your opinions, good or bad, i would appreciate your comments.
Cheers, Neil

hi i have an airshield it is well made but it is difficult to get to fit tight on your head to stop it sloping about with out hurting your head it does keep the dust away from your face i used it for a day the first time and was surprised the amount of dust on the filters (witch i was eating before) it does feel a bit strange on your head but it works. would i buy one again yes i think i would,
all the best
pip

Ive got a secondhand 3M which pipes filtered air from a unit on your belt - it's damn good, (reviewed here by Chas yonks ago). If you can still get a used one, I would - the new ones are squiilions of pounds
Greg

Be very carefull if considering Shop Compressor Fed, very serious oil mist filtration is required to prevent breathing of oil mist.

CHJ":2fclbwbc said:
Be very carefull if considering Shop Compressor Fed, very serious oil mist filtration is required to prevent breathing of oil mist.
Thanks for the replies guys, I am leaning towards the trend at the moment.
Chaz, cheers for that, I had already looked at the filter situation and they are quite expensive and don't last too long either!
regards, Neil

Im a boatbuilder, i used to do a lot of restoration work also fibreglass repairs. This entails much heavy duty grinding of the itchy stuff. Not a healthy pastime!
About 25 years ago i invested in a Racal Airsteam helmet, this is a safety helmet with rear mounted motor that directs filtered air down through a visor.
It proved to be a fantastic bit of kit, it was not cheap but earnt its keep many times over.
In the end i wore it out & got another one a couple of years ago from my dad who didnt like it for some reason.
The second one is still going strong.
Racal were taken over by 3M who still make versions of the Airsteam helmet today. It is a solid industrial respirator that will last years.
Buck & hickman stock them though i think one would best be sitting down before asking the price!

Latest posts

Back