Resawing loads of pallet wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the test piece, just glued, 3mm boards on 5mm ply, half short half long of the pieces with nail holes, and I didn't go overboard on the glue. I'll put this on a high kitchen shelf above the kettle where it'll get regularly steamed then get cold overnight.

Left side is danish oil, right is tung oil, 4 applications each - am not necessarily seeking comments on the finishing but I prefer the danish already, the tung oil has too much of a sheen as it appears now anyway, 18 hours after the last application.

..and yep, I need more practice on the bandsaw :^) - and need to make a slightly angled fence the way it likes to cut, the blade was wandering towards the fence given half the chance.

Now I got some 9mm OSB (for nothing !) that's the backing I'll use, I'd still like to stick to 3mm boards if I can, gives me 2 pieces per plank with planed edges to stick, plus leaves the central piece pleasantly wavy on both large faces, for something else in the vicinity.

Attachments

• 3mmTestPiecee.png
    3mmTestPiecee.png
    231.9 KB · Views: 53
You've used quite a thin material for your test board so expect it to curl, it may help to oil the back of the ply to try to even up absorption/drying rates, but I may be quite wrong about that too.

Just bear in mind that wood can take longer than 2 days to warp. That said, if you're happy with your test, then go for it. More than happy to be proved wrong :D

Cheers guys, I can leave it for a fortnight, lots else to do.

The backing I found is nearly twice as thick so am pretty optimistic about it, the dry wall it's going on has a load of studwork behind (and a mains cable somewhere..) so plenty of places to secure it.

My stanley stud finder beeps for mains when about 20cm away from a cable/socket in air - it beeps over a massive area of the wall so I'm going to need to have a look.

I'm flirting with the idea of insetting a mirror with top/side lights, since there's 7cm of space behind it where the studs aren't (from a bunch of probes with an awl anyway) - so I want to cut a hole to investigate further, and it's a good excuse to try a different blade on my new OMT toy.

I plan to treat the wood seperately both sides for a couple of applications, first one 50/50 with mineral oil; then attach the boards to the 4 backing sections, sand to smooth the edges where the wobble goes in opposite directions, then perhaps another 2 treatments with danish oil in-place.

...if I have to go over it with brad nails here and there to sort out a wobbly board as time passes... no great drama, as long as it doesn't go off like a fir cone :)

MattRoberts":tuffrms0 said:
If you're going rustic, make the fixings a feature.
https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Screws ... ack/p84270

That would look good but methinks that with the wood at 3mm it may well split!

OP, if you want to re-saw a pallet, get yourself some of these :wink: Nearly 6ft long and made up of 6x2's and bl00dy heavy!
IMG_3192.JPG

OWK :eek:ccasion5:

Attachments

• IMG_3192.JPG
    IMG_3192.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 34

Latest posts

Back