Requesting IT help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have just fitted an external hard drive (80gb) to my PC. took about 20 minutes.

I have put all my sensitive information on to that drive, in the event that my PC has a problem all the critical info can be kept safe and used on another PC, if I get a new one, or if I have to reformat my C: Drive.

hope this info is useful and allay your fears.

BTW I have banked with Alliance Leicester (formally GIROBANK) and only use the online system and never had any problem with their secure system

OK thanks above.

I was thinking along the lines of Egg, they had no offices in the high street and a BS I had at one time only had offices in the Midlands so a PC out of operation would screw you up.

DW - I spend about 8 months each year abroad and have to use internet banking. My bank has pretty good security, including the variable 'drop down' menus which ask you for differnt info each time. You are supposed to change ones password every 3 - 6 months but I must admit I usually take longer.

You sound like my age group, and I was sceptical at first but, touch wood, as others have said, I am happy with the system now.

My understanding is that the danger at internet cafes etc. is people looking over your shoulder. I don't have to use an internet cafe so I can't really add to that. Again, as others have said, you may want to check them out before using them 'tho I don't know how you would do that.

After all if you walk into an internet cafe and ask them if they've got all the necessary protection they are hardly likely to say no :)

Yup...those banks that ask for (at random) a couple of letters/numbers from your password and a couple of (random) numbers from a passcode are the best from a security point of view since you are never asked for your complete password. Even the callcentre staff do not have access to the full password.

My main concern would be the ability to be able to go into the web browser and clear the cache...not that this is definitively fullproof but it does help. I try to remember to check that I can clear it before I use the PC in anger. If I can't then I'll shrug my shoulders (at the loss of the internet cafe fee) and go elsewhere.

Biggest aggravation has been the 'out-of-pattern' spending triggering their anti-fraud software which is why I recommend telling the card companies when and which countries you are visiting.

The other gotcha is answermachines on your mobile ...some (like mine) have an upper limit of only 10 messages...

devonwoody":3aexk4zp said:
I was thinking along the lines of Egg, they had no offices in the high street and a BS I had at one time only had offices in the Midlands so a PC out of operation would screw you up.

What if you have telephone banking and your phone stops working?

What if you use a normal bank and something prevents you from visiting your local branch (car broken down, some sort of injury etc)...?

Most of the internet only operations do have a telephone service you can fall back on. Or you could always resort to using the post!

If you're having to log in from an insecure machine, I would recommend using something like "portable Firefox" - a special version of the browser that runs from your USB memory stick. No data is stored on HD of the PC you run it on - one less place for your banking data to be snooped from.

http://portablefirefox.mozdev.org/

Jim

One thing to look for, is the 'padlock' icon , which shows up in the bottom RH corner of Internet Explorer/Firefox.
Alternatively, check that the address bar starts with 'https' rather than 'http'.
When either of these, padlock/https, are visible, it means you are on a secure connection and your browser doesn't keep anything in it's cache which could be examined after your session. It also means the information being sent between you and the bank is encrypted, which reduces the chances of anyone evesdropping.

I work abroad a lot, and in the past I've resorted to popping into an Embassy or british company's overseas office and asked to use a computer for a couple of minutes. Luckily, I've never been refused yet!

Sailor, dont do that in Nigeria, I have a cousin who does something similar, (emails to family and myself) and its in my opinion a source of some nasties I have received. (like those business and begging type emails)

Doesn't contradict at all.,..just confirms how careful we need to be all the time. Shredding the contents of a hard disk should be second nature when disposing of a computer.

There are specific programs that can do this ...freeware or payware..it's all in the links on the BBC webpage

yes thats what I would have thought as well, but hard to know when to do this operation before burglars call and take your computer away with all that infor still on the harddrive, so internet banking details are available to fraudsters through that source.

Well...do you use a password to log into your XP computer? That helps.

If you're really worried then you can store stuff encrypted on your hard disk and don't forget many important sites..such as a good banking site...don't store your password details on the computer but simply ask you each time for a couple of letters from it.

It's all a question of balancing risk. Mind you, some dodgy burglar might start posting in your name on this forum :wink:

If you look carefully at the bbc article, it doesn't say that access can be found to passwords or a way into someone's internet banking, just 'internet banking data' - I wonder what that really means?
Another quote is about accessing documents on a hard drive, not about accessing bank websites.

Sure, there is a lesson to be learned from this story but it's not about accessing internet banking. A cheque gives your bank sort code and account number, but people don't worry about using them.

I don't think you'll ever be able to satisfy your worries John, the more you look the more you'll find to put you off and nothing anyone says is going to change your mind!

Thank you Terry, you are correct re your remarks, it is a current bug of mine owing to recently having made some changes and the financial institutions pushing their internet banking connections down my throat and in some instances starting to get emails from them etc. etc.

Then seeing controversial press reports like above in the media I will most probably try to stay clear of this new fangled stuff. I reckon I have only got around 10 more years to worry about it. :wink:

Aw John, don't be such a pessimist. Last time I saw you you were lugging lumps of wood round like a teenager!

(and no, that doesn't mean getting ready to lob them through car windows!)

Timber,

Well Well well. (am I on camera or something with that lot)

I shall miss restocking up this time.

Off to Oz. for six months, but you can let me know when you have that shellac in stock, I have run out of my present supply.

Latest posts

Back