Requesting IT help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
In the near future I am wanting to clean off my hard drive, I have a Time computer and I will do the reload.

How can I save my address book in Outlook Express so that it can be reinstalled to the clear hardrive?

Second question.

I have been making financial arrangements for our forthcoming holiday(6 months) and building societies and bank are advising me to have internet banking set up.
I have never trusted internet banking and this thought has come to mind.

If my computer were to break down in the future and the computer goes away to the repairers what is to stop the repairman learning all of my banking details and passwords from my hardrive in the repair process?
Would not this be considered by the banking companies as not taking good care of secret details?

Keeping up with modern life is getting complicated.

I'm definately no expert but I expect that no personal details for internet banking will be stored on the hard drive

The reason I think this is there has been no news on a massive increase in computers being stolen so criminals can rape bank accounts

Internet banking is now completely web based and as such no passwords, usernames or data is kept on your pc. I have been using internet banking since the very beginning and have used it all over the world. It is very safe and convenient. I have never had any problems at all.

Infact my only gripe with Internet Banking is that it is often TOO secure, asking for all manner of questions, pin numbers, etc

The bank account details and passwords are not normally stored on the pc in my experience.

You have to actually enter these each time you access your bank's system so that it will let you see and transact on your account, they are not stored anywhere at your end so pose no risk.

That's assuming that you never select the windows option that comes up occassionally asking if you want the system to remember your password, and it's for similar security reasons that I always say no to that prompt when it appears.

Go on, give it a go, it will definately make life a whole lot easier !

Cheers, Paul. :D

So I am abroad and go into an internet cafe and go to my account to transact business, ANY Problem?

Or use a friends computer at their home address?

Or use my own computer laptop from a friends address , can I?

Any info would be helpful because I am almost completely internet/outlook express iliterate.

So a virus can get into your machine and detect mouse movements and replay back to its source?

And the banking company would say you had not protected your system well enough.

My problem is I can never restock up on my financial position again at my age. Whereas perhaps a 25 year old with hardly any balance has nothing to lose, but has time to recover from such a set back.
So that type of banking can appeal to his lifestyle.

devonwoody":3ub83s83 said:
So I am abroad and go into an internet cafe and go to my account to transact business, ANY Problem?

Or use a friends computer at their home address?

Or use my own computer laptop from a friends address , can I?

Any info would be helpful because I am almost completely internet/outlook express iliterate.

anywhere you can browse the web then technically you should be able to get on to your internet banking. If you inform the bank you are going away then you should be safe with regards to internet fraud. All banks now have very good fraud protection and in the very unlikely even that someone obtains your details then 99.9% of the time you will get your money back.

As I say, I have never had any probs, I really don't think you should worry. As long as you are sensible with your personal details then you'll be fine.

Thanks all for your confidence building information.

But dont bleame me when some bank gets hit for all its worth and passes the buck back to its customers after lengthy legal formalities, remember their board of directors are usually also sitting in the house of Lords and fix up any appeals!!!!!!!!!

Protection from key loggers and virii are covered by everything said about up to date anti virus software (I use McAfee) and Anti spyware software (I use Spy Doctor) and that unless you create a word document with your username and password and save on your hard drive, due to the web based nature of online banking, its pretty safe from rentageek computer fixit man. Safer than handin over your credit card to a 16 year old eejit who subsequently copies it.

I've been using the internet for over 10 years now, internet banking since its inception (I think Nat West started their online banking in 1997), fraud tends to be due to some toe rag copying my credit card in a surf shop/cafe/etc etc and then taking it on a jaunt round europe consistently just hitting it under the limit for the credit card company flags.

I have a credit card purely for buying online, that has specifically outlined online insurance against fraud. And a bank that also clearly stipulates the same insurance for online banking. They seem like reasonable steps to take when you do a lot of banking and buying on line.

devonwoody":1wc4hco8 said:
In the near future I am wanting to clean off my hard drive, I have a Time computer and I will do the reload.

How can I save my address book in Outlook Express so that it can be reinstalled to the clear hardrive?

This might be different depending on which version of Outlook Express you are running but (in version 6 at least) if you select Tools | Options and select the Maintenance tab there is a button marked [Store Folder]. Click this and it will give you the full address of the folder used to store your Outlook Express data. Navigate to this folder (you may need to turn on view hidden files from Tools | Folder Option -> View Tab) from My Computer (you can copy the address into the address bar of the folder window) and back up all those files. Put them back after doing your re-install.

Shout if this isn't clear.

Andrew

Andrew,

I did a Windows XP reinstall the other week and if I remember rightly, the process you outlined backs up the mail messages, rather than the address book as the original question requested.

For the official - and, hopefully, comprehensible - guide to backing up and restoring both the mail folders and the address book, see Microsoft's "How to Back Up the Outlook Express Address Book and Mail Folders"

Cheers

Neil

tigerturnings":wtln3yp6 said:
Andrew,

I did a Windows XP reinstall the other week and if I remember rightly, the process you outlined backs up the mail messages, rather than the address book as the original question requested.

Neil,

Your right. From memory I saved the address book by exporting because I was upgrading to Outlook.

Andrew

Just to second what others have said. I have 1 business account and 2 private accounts all of which are done on-line as are my inland revenue forms and payments. I have not had a problem with banking security in the 3 years or so I have been using it. Indeed as someone else has said I get frustrated they ask SO much detail.

If you are really worried, why not give your bank a call, and explain your worries and see what they say? Also explain you will be going abroad.

I use my debit card also on a daily basis with no problems.

Like anything be sesible. make sure on your own PC you have agood upto date virus checker like Norton or Mcafe.

Can I also suggest an excellent FREE program that clears your PC of all kinds of snooping cookies and programs, called Adaware - do a google search. If you've not used it before you'll be amazed. One point about adaware is that it does remove all traces of your recent activity - so if you have just visted your bank it will remove all traces of it and ensures NO informatioon is stored.

Pecker":1xzsfnmg said:
Also explain you will be going abroad.

Actually this is important otherwise you might find that their anti-fraud software kicks in and your card gets refused. DAMHIKT

DW - six month holiday? How wonderful...where are you going?

Some very useful information (and education) above, thanks.

Now what if you get stuck into internet banking and your PC breaks down and you are without the damn thing for a period and you need to get at your money and pay those bills, especially those with a time limit or penalties?

You can still ise your debit card and write cheques. The internet side is an addition not a replacement.

John

I thought there were internet only accounts, which would apply to my concern, but obviously dual type accounts get over my first thoughts.

no Internet Banking is just access to your account from the internet. the account does not change, it's the same account you've always had. You can just control it from your PC instead of calling or going into a branch.

devonwoody":1rbfxfl6 said:
Some very useful information (and education) above, thanks.

Now what if you get stuck into internet banking and your PC breaks down and you are without the damn thing for a period and you need to get at your money and pay those bills, especially those with a time limit or penalties?

You can access it from any Internet cafe

Latest posts

Back