Replacing interior doors and frames

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Di Stone

Reaction score
Hello, someone recommended this site to me having asked the question on another forum.

I'm thinking of having the interior door frames and the doors themselves replaced as over the years, the old paint build up is just too thick or the wood looks like it's seen better days with knocks and dents about the edges. They have been stripped back previously but I'm thinking new would look better.

I've not gone down the route of getting quotes from carpenters yet but wondered if anyone out there had replaced the same? If so, was it worthwhile doing even if it meant possibly removing lots plaster work as the frames get remove or should we just stick with using nitromors on the frames then just renew doors?

Many thanks

Di

Depends on how bad the frames are, can get old frames looking great with a bit of time spent and attention to detail.

Shouldnt make any plaster damage if you knife around the architrave edges before removing, depending on the type of architrave

have to agree with previous post, providing the frames are complete and sound. It will only take some paint stripper, patience and a bit of effort and your frames could be restored to former glories.
If your not willing to do it, send or post a pic and I could give you a price as I am back over at the end of the month to do simerler work though they will be external frames /doors and windows

Leave the frames at all costs. Just not worth the knock-on work associated with it. Facings are OK and you shouldn't need to disturb the plaster. You just need to check your frames for twist or out of line. You will have to watch the plaster line in order that your facings sit nicely. Frame screw holes , etc can be filled with filler or wood plugs. Good luck.

Back