Replacing drive belt on Elu/Dw mitre saws.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qwercus

Established Member
Reaction score
Howdy Folks,

Can anyone tell me the correct way to replace the grooved drive belt on the Elu PS174/DW701 mitre saw?. I believe it is possible to ease it onto the pulleys a few grooves at a time but I'm worried about overstretching a new belt. Would it be better to remove the keyed pulleys, fit belt and slide pulleys back on shafts simultaneously?.

As always, any advice greatly appreciated.

Q, Why does David Hasselhoff prefer to be called The Hoff?
A, He just doesn't want the hassle.

I've tried on exactly that model (twice on different saws); it's a horrible job, and I couldn't see how you release tension on the belt to allow it to slip over either motor or shaft pulley.

If you know of, or find out, a do-able process, please do post it, as I have two friends with the Elu originals and it will undoubtedly come up again at some point.

E.

The way I've always done it is to wind it on a groove at a time while turning the pulleys. Not had a problem with over-stretching the belt.

Cheers

Paul

Howdy Folks,

Can anyone tell me the correct way to replace the grooved drive belt on the Elu PS174/DW701 mitre saw?. I believe it is possible to ease it onto the pulleys a few grooves at a time but I'm worried about overstretching a new belt. Would it be better to remove the keyed pulleys, fit belt and slide pulleys back on shafts simultaneously?.

As always, any advice greatly appreciated.

Q, Why does David Hasselhoff prefer to be called The Hoff?
A, He just doesn't want the hassle.
You can remove the large Ali pulley after a bit of lube to the shaft
Don't hit the pulley with any thing that will damage the grooves
it will damage the drive belt
make sure that the pulley can spin freely without the woodruff key in place
replace the hex bolt
place the new belt in the correct position on the pulley
use a screwdriver to lever the pulley on shaft make sure its square to shaft
you will feel the shaft fit together
very gently tap the pulley with soft hammer watch the grooves!
if you hit the pulley hard you can dent Ali if it's out of square
it should be on now
put a block of wood to stop the blade from turning so the shaft is locked
turn the pulley till the woodruff key ways Aline
tap the woodruff key in
then replace the bolts and washers to the shafts
big washer to the Ali pulley
good luck Simon

Ancient thread but :
I'm with @Paul200 .
This sounds like the manual wants you to take just one pulley off and then crowbar metal on metal to get it back on. You'd have more leverage and more potential for damaging expensive metal components vs a little stretch to a commodity rubber belt. Bad trade off.
Go one groove at a time alternating pulleys and it will get there.
Go "easy", meaning don't stretch it more than you have to, but don't worry about the belt.

Latest posts

Back