Replacing a window

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaoticbob

Established Member
Reaction score
During the sweltering summer my other half opened an upstairs window, but it's getting chilly now and it won't close again...

I've tracked the problem down to a bent hinge:

Window2.JPG

My question is: should I just replace the bent hinge and rehang, or was hanging a a 1 metre by 1 metre double glazed panel (about 25kg) from a couple of hinges a bad idea from whoever did it and I should rethink?

Window1.JPG

Robin

Attachments

• Window2.JPG
    Window2.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 178
  • Window1.JPG
    Window1.JPG
    228.4 KB · Views: 178
If in doubt, you could add a third hinge. Most of the problem there is likely to be from a painted up hinge and/or an ill-fitting window, resulting in someone forcing the window open or closed against its will. Sort the problems out and the hinges will work perfectly well.

Which way does it hang? If it’s top hung two should suffice but if it’s side hung I would’ve used 3. I would get some new hinges.

Trevanion":9odqyybp said:
Which way does it hang? If it’s top hung two should suffice but if it’s side hung I would’ve used 3. I would get some new hinges.

Looking at which way the joints run it appears to be side hung.

Fit new hinges and should be fine.
If worried fit a third hinge.
If really worried put third hinge closer to top than bottom.
If really really worried put a tapered wedge in bottom frame rebate to carry sash like some plastic windows/doors.

Thanks, and apologies for delay in responding - this window business has left me incapacitated, I underestimated the weight and ended up wrestling the thing in (it's an upstairs window) through the frame at an awkward angle, which has knackered my back.
I'll go for three hinges and perhaps hire some scaffolding so I can replace it without further mishap.
Robin.

Back