Replacing a drill chuck

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard S

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok guys help the silly person time again, I've bought a replacement chuck for my Makita drill / driver, I've removed the left hand thread machine screw inside the chuck but how do I unscrew the chuck from the body of the drill, as there is no shaft lock as I try to unscrew the old chuck it just turns on the spindle, what am I missing?

thanks
Richard

If you grip something like a chuck key in the chuck and give it a sharp tap with a mallet or hammer, it should unscrew.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

you need a large hex key like 1/2 or as big as will fit in and just hammer it off (drill on the bench chuck over hanging and hit downwards)

(my makita has a pair of flats for a spanner)

it looks brutish but i have done a few like this and never done any harm

andy

One way that I have done this before is to insert a screwdriver into the air vent hence jamming the motor via the cooling fan, it sounds very drastic but workerd for me and is not as bad as it sounds.

Thanks guys, the allen key trick worked a treat, only problem now is the hole for the spindle is the wrong size, like I said "help the silly person" I'm off to sit in a darkened room and poke myself in the eye with a sharpened stick...

Back