Replacement Workshop/Garage Door

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyG

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I've just moved house and the new workshop (garage) door is a bit useless. In an ideal world, I'd like to make a replacement, but this isn't really going to happen any time soon and I'm very concerned about security. Does anyone have any advice/suggestions on where to buy a good replacement garage door (with good locking/security). It's a basic 'up and over' at the moment. I'd rather have side hinged doors.
Many thanks
Andy

Andy,

I have a similar issue, although mine is secure. It just doesnt open!

I am going to make something with side hinges from some 3/4" or 1" ply, reinforce it with a frame and clad it, either with the aluminium from the old door, or some pvc t and g. I dont think that it is a huge job to do- probably less than you fear.

It is not a huge job but side hung doors will put a lot more strain on your door frame so make sure that is really sound before proceeding.
If you have another door to access the garage by, repairing the up & over door and adding extra security accessible only from the inside is worth considering.

Extra security fitted from the outside, usually only indicates to low life that there is something inside worth nicking.

Bob

AndyG":3jgwydv8 said:
Hi All,
I've just moved house and the new workshop (garage) door is a bit useless. In an ideal world, I'd like to make a replacement, but this isn't really going to happen any time soon and I'm very concerned about security. Does anyone have any advice/suggestions on where to buy a good replacement garage door (with good locking/security). It's a basic 'up and over' at the moment. I'd rather have side hinged doors.
Many thanks
Andy

Most doors (garage) are up and over or roll up - I've not seen any that are side openers.

I would suspect you'd need someone to make these for you. Might be worth getting a local person\firm to give you a quote?

HIH

Dibs

p.s. Just found this website,

http://www.thegaragedoorcentre.co.uk/pr ... ufacturer=

should be others too.

I guess it depends on how you make them as to how much work it would be to make some new doors.

I recently completed a similar job and although it took me quite a long time in between other tasks I am really happy with the way they turned out. If you're interested you can find the WIP here.

regards

Brian

Hi

Just a slight warning. A friend of mine had his jaw badly broken and wired up for a few months when a spring on an up and over door he was working on was suddenly released and hit him in the face.

Chris

Mr T":3pzxndx6 said:
Hi

A friend of mine had his jaw badly broken and wired up for a few months when a spring on an up and over door he was working on was suddenly released and hit him in the face.

Chris

Jaw wired up :shock: ........ just for my information "say" I was to stand the misses in front of the spring, should she be directly in front of it or to the side. :lol: :lol: just to confirm you can't talk if your jaw is wired shut?

Jaw wired up ........ just for my information "say" I was to stand the misses in front of the spring, should she be directly in front of it or to the side. just to confirm you can't talk if your jaw is wired shut?

You naughty man Bob!

doctor Bob":2jw9ybds said:
Mr T":2jw9ybds said:
Hi

A friend of mine had his jaw badly broken and wired up for a few months when a spring on an up and over door he was working on was suddenly released and hit him in the face.

Chris

Jaw wired up :shock: ........ just for my information "say" I was to stand the misses in front of the spring, should she be directly in front of it or to the side. :lol: :lol: just to confirm you can't talk if your jaw is wired shut?

:D :D :D

Hi All,

Many thanks for your replies. I've spoken to a local company about getting a replacement door. I was amazed at the price. A good quality up-and-over is about £700, a side opening door is over £1000 (that includes removal of the old door and fitting the new one); that's quite an investment! I've seen cheaper from the likes of Screwfix and Wickes, but I imagine the quality wont be as good.

It's a bit chicken and egg... I'd love to make the door myself, but at apprehensive about setting up all my doors without the security of a proper door!

Andy

Hi,

You can get a replacement lock from locksmiths that dosn't have a handle just a bigger key to make the door more secure.
And you can screw a 2X2 across the frame to stop the catch from being easly accesable.

Pete

Back