Replacement Bandsaw purchase

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GKB

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've just joined so apologies in advance if make a foo-pah.
I am about to press the button on a replacement Bandsaw.
I've owned a small Jet Bandsaw for approx 10 yrs / 15yrs (memory failing a bit) which has performed well with the limited work its been asked to do.
I have returned to woodworking after a considerable spell away (10 yrs) and would now like to purchase a far more capable beast.

I've set my sights upon an Axminster SBW4300B and wondered if any one on the forum had experience of this machine or could recomend an alternative.
many thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice.

Graham

Hi graham I intend on a new bandsaw when my new space is finished and have my eye on the record 450 sabre. I have looked at many but the new style guides and 5 year warranty appeal to me. I have no experience of axminster machinary but believe there after sales are great.

Hi
Have you got a 16a socket wired up?
I would be looking for at least a 20" 200kg machine, with flat tires making it more suitable for wider blades.
Look for machines with dual voltage motors, which is stamped 220/240 volts three phase (low voltage delta triangle symbol)
on the motor name plate, not the machine.
You can run these machines with a hundred quid VFD and use a 13a plug, and it will start easier than any
single phase 1 hp thing you have,
just like my 3HP 24" ACM machine
Look at the used Italian machines, anything heavier and it gets harder to find dual voltage motors with them.
Give me a PM if you aren't sure about dual voltage motors... but as I said though ...
If you see a household voltage 220/240v on the nameplate, you go buy that machine for a bargain,
in confidence knowing you can have this baby running with ease
Good luck
Tom

gwr":2xrlymm9 said:
Hi graham I intend on a new bandsaw when my new space is finished and have my eye on the record 450 sabre. I have looked at many but the new style guides and 5 year warranty appeal to me. I have no experience of axminster machinary but believe there after sales are great.

HI, I've been looking at the Record as well but having just had a rather unpleasant experience with record and a pillar drill I've decided to avoid them for this purchase.

Ttrees":2gu4dysg said:
Hi
Have you got a 16a socket wired up?
I would be looking for at least a 20" 200kg machine, with flat tires making it more suitable for wider blades.
Look for machines with dual voltage motors, which is stamped 220/240 volts three phase (low voltage delta triangle symbol)
on the motor name plate, not the machine.
You can run these machines with a hundred quid VFD and use a 13a plug, and it will start easier than any
single phase 1 hp thing you have,
just like my 3HP 24" ACM machine
Look at the used Italian machines, anything heavier and it gets harder to find dual voltage motors with them.
Give me a PM if you aren't sure about dual voltage motors... but as I said though ...
If you see a household voltage 220/240v on the nameplate, you go buy that machine for a bargain,
in confidence knowing you can have this baby running with ease
Good luck
Tom

Hi Tom,
Please let me know more about the VFD, very interested.
thanks

Hi on draft phone so I can't give you a link on it. I wrote a reply to someone in a thread last month with most info needed. I think it was titled ......can anyone wire a three phase inverter for me. It will have links to bobs motor PDF and give you an idea from my perspective

So, I bit the bullet and purchased the Axminster SBW4300B. I am absolutely delighted with it.
Setup was a dodle, under 30 mins to up and running. I changed out the supplied blade 4 an Axcaliber 3/4" 4 TPI before turning it on. It cuts like knife through butter. The bearings under the table are a bit fiddley to get to but apart from that no complaints.

Back