Repairing F-clamps, loose head?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ED65

Established Member
Reaction score
I've tried a search and found nothing but if there is a previous thread please point me to it.

Has anyone managed to successfully repair an F-clamp after the head has come off? I think I cracked the epoxy that's supposed to hold the head on one of my smaller clamps last week when it dropped to the floor, and tightening it earlier (or trying to) I couldn't figure out why it wasn't working until I spotted the head had nearly worked free of the bar.

My first thought is to bond it in place using steel-reinforced epoxy but I wonder if there's a better fix, one with a better chance of holding up to what I imagine is an enormous amount of strain given the leverage. Peening the end of the bar seems a good idea but I don't think I can do that with what I have available.

If this isn't fixable it's no big deal, chance has supplied me with the perfect candidate for an F-clamp holdfast (hammer)

I've got one that's loose and falls off. I put some folded paper into the gap and it works OK. A bit of metal might work better.

Can't you drill through and fit a nut and bolt? high tensile one with 8.8 on the head.

Pete

Thanks gents I'll try one then the other if necessary.

There's a hole in the bar already where the head sits so it seems purpose-made for a retaining pin, it's just not included on these but very simple to add something like Pete's bolt.

I used to buy 2 or 3 cheap f-clamps every week until I bought all around .
I just hammer a big mushroom on the end of the flat stock .
Why would ya not do that (homer)
Now the real question is ...
What is the best fix for the shoe that breaks off with light seldom use ?
I just use the clamp as normal, but get a scrap block of hardwood and the screw threads into it ...
Its a bit cumbersome though, and I wonder how long the blocks will last .
Buy clamps with beefier threads anymore !
Well maybe just a few more, If I see them for the same price as I used to pay for them :roll:

I'd mushroom the end over as well. On cheap clamps they are just a wedge fit with a bit of glue. Or drill a hole in the head and put a pin through.

Ttrees":15r2s6cl said:
I just hammer a big mushroom on the end of the flat stock .
Why would ya not do that (homer)
I'd assumed the steel would be too hard to mushroom easily and might risk bending the bar. But if it's something you've done successfully numerous times I shall certainly give it a shot as it's such a simple fix. Ta!

Latest posts

Back