Renting a workspace

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anaminal

Established Member
Reaction score
Could anyone advise on how I'd go about finding a small workspace to house a few machines and other apparatus (Bandsaw, Lathe, Vacs, Workbench etc...) I was thinking about 10m square meters. Doesn't need to be in a retail location or at ground level (as long as I can get my stuff upstairs somehow).

Basically I've spent the last year building up a workshop in my cellar, but feel like I've outgrown it a little now, feels a bit too claustrophobic working down there - especially when it gets dusty. So yeah, I'd like to have a small place away from the house where I cold go to work on weekends.

Has anyone done this and have thoughts on what it might cost? I live in Leeds and see buildings with what looks like empty rooms upstairs all over the place... would these be suitable?

Considered this in Bristol, I just typed in rent workrooms and got loads of hits, not all from commercial renters either. Only thing to consider for upstairs is weight, some upstairs spaces were designed for domestic only, but obviously if it has a concrete upper floor you should be good to go.

You might want to consider making a co-operative with some other WW if costs are a bit steep, with each of you bringing a machine or two (different ones) and obviously get some form of formal contract drawn up plus coverage against theft / damage etc.

It's also probably worth playing hardball, especially if there's a place you know has been empty a while and come in with a low offer - I'm sure most places are empty because the owners are still asking stupid rents on spaces that have been empty for years - and tell them it would be a longterm let and try to get it locked down for that period at your offer price.

I know a guy that secured a great place for his reclaimed salvage business on a normally high rent road (The Reclaimers, glos road) for 10 years for a ridiculously low sum because it had been empty for years previously, although it may have helped he paid for the entire period up front.

Rafezetter...

Where are you in Bristol?
Would like to visit your space to see what you get for your money!
Currently sorting out my single garage as a makeshift workshop but know I will out grow in very soon!

Cheers

James

I did it 3 years ago & I built my own (3.5 x 10m) workshop within an old factory as it was closer to home & much nicer than a cellar/cell like light industrial council unit..it costs me £50 pw & £30pm bills. A council bod came in last week to price up what were will now start paying in rates (damn, damn, damn) this adds up to nearly £3k & if you upgrade a few machines, put in extraction & get more tools you could be looking at £5000 pa.

..and if you are like me & have other things to do in your spare time like walking the dogs & doing chores then it becomes a VERY expensive hobby. But I love the time I'm there & am glad I have it..even if it makes my eyes water when I tot it all up.

If I had space in the garden I'd build a workshop in it tomorrow...that 3K would buy me some really flash machines then walking the dogs & cooking dinner would be a lot easier too !

HTH

hmm, these numbers are higher than I can afford. I think I'll have to stay in the cellar for the time being... hoping to eventually turn this into a small business, but the move would probably be more worthwhile once I've managed to sell something!

I'm sure that there used to be a place in Leeds where you could do a basic induction and then rent machines by the hour. I can't find a website though.

mahomo59":ui9vmssn said:
Rafezetter...

Where are you in Bristol?
Would like to visit your space to see what you get for your money!
Currently sorting out my single garage as a makeshift workshop but know I will out grow in very soon!

Cheers

James

Hi James, considered but never did, as I'm currently between jobs and much as I'd sacrifice beer for a w/shop, prices are still outside my ability at the mo'.

It's still a desire on the horizon though, I know of one co-operative that runs from an old car mechanics garage off Glos road of 5 WW, so it's certainly do-able.

I'm in Filton - lol I look at the empty buildings by the airport and just drool everyday.

@HTH - I'd look round and maybe move, or tell whoever you are renting from that if the rates are that high you'll leave, I'd be willing to bet he might be amenable to some arrangement on the rate costs, like sharing them, if he thought he'd lose the tidy turnover he's getting from you and it's empty for years again. Although you should definitely be armed with info on alternate places and how offsetting the cost of moving against cheaper rent is still the way you prefer, after all it's still only a hobby, so it's not as thought your income depends on staying there and having it running every day.

There is a moratorium on small business rates at the moment so you shouldn't be paying anything for rates (which I think is an insidious tax anyway btw).

Phil.

Back