Renault Traffic Sport leak Help?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deema

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Renault Traffic Sport, 2016, which I bought from new which has suddenly leaked I think. The roof lining around the windscreen door pillars was damp and water started coming out of the roof light console when I braked…..so a definite issue. I’ve taken the roof liner out (what a faff) and jetted water at it, windscreen, roof rack blanking bolts, door seals, rook to body junction and…….nothing! I can’t find a leak. There seems to be far too much water for it to be condensatio, and it’s never done anything like this before in the last six years. So, anyone any ideas?

I have been there.
It is a pain.

There is good news, it is comming in from above, that means the rear light seals are still good for now.

Do have that waste of space, fan thing on the roof? If yes, a good point to start.

The main screan seals do let go, and rain can be driven up and in.

The door seals can go as well, on the A post. Again the water is driven in.

The water thrn migrates around and pools, then gets you get as it escapes.

Not an easy fix, but is posible.
I was lucky, I filled my van with Nitogen and used a gas sniffee to see the leaks.
I had 4.

Or having read your post again if it leaks when you brake this could suggest the water is getting in from the rear of your vehicle and pooling at the rear which would explain why it leaks when braking as this sends the front of the vehicle downward.

I had your problem on a Renault 18. Exactly the same and only happened once. I never found where it came apart from suspecting the front windscreen as that was where the water was lying. I suspect a design fault combined with the right wind direction and a large amount of rain. Never happened again! Not much help but I'd wait and see if it happened again.

I don’t have a fan in the roof, and I’ve never fitted a roof rack. So, after a couple of days of rain, it’s definitely leaking from somewhere. I am finding drops of water on the foor wells, either side depending on which way the slope is inclined. It appears to be coming out of the reinforcing bar directly above the windscreen that connect the two windscreen pillars. It could be running down the side reinforcing strips over the doors or it’s from the front. There doesn’t appear to be any damp in the rear, and equally nothing really in the roof to allow it to come forward if it is leaking from there.

So, could be the two bolt holes with the factory fitted blanking nuts in them that’s over the cab, the windscreen or the roof seal. I’m going to try adding kitchen roll in strategic places to act as a tell to see if I can eliminate places / focus on where it’s coming from.

The braking allowing water to run forward is a red herring, sorry. The water had collected in the autowiper detector that connected to the windscreen, which pints to it being the windscreen seal.

Although the van is out of manufactures warranty, I’m wondering if I can still make a claim if it’s not a simple fix once I’ve verified the cause under the faulty materials, workmanship, design criteria that covers all goods for their reasonable useable life.🤔🤔

Leaking radio aerial gasket? Or maybe a leak elsewhere causing damp air within the body which then condenses on the inner surface of the roof?
It’s not the radio areal hole, that’s directly over the drivers seat with do possibility of water running anywhere. Good suggestion.

Recently I've had a couple of cars where the sealant cracks between panel joints, so a good looks over the outside of the roof and inspect any sealant (which will be painted over) for damage

Having at one time worked at a BL agents, water leaks to the interior were the biggest head aches, rainwater would penetrate, but water from a hose very often failed to find it's way in. I knew of a SAAB that let in water but the agent couldn't find it until the owner described how he had topark it on a slope at an angle in such a way that water found a way in.

Some piccies

The top of the cab roof.
14B183D6-C6A8-4550-93C5-E116BB8B7241.jpeg

Inside the roof of the van without the roof liner.
E443C395-3173-4F8D-9D93-F72BA89EE7F5.jpeg
2828F22E-A4D1-49FD-8C5E-A1A0D2BC2900.jpeg
1EC84DA3-06D2-4F38-BCD8-5A0CF3F4CEF1.jpeg

Mate used to drive a bus and after being given a different one for his route he found the screen washers didn't work. When he eventually applied the brake a bit harder he found out where all the water had been going due to getting a shower from behind the head lining :D

Looks like a lot of water could be channeled forwards on to the windscreen. I wonder if the A posts have drains in them. We once had a car that steamed up badly because rubber pipes that should have drained water down from the top of the windscreen use to block, leaving water to seep in somewhere. Come to think of it that was a Vauxhall, wonder which one designed the Traffic/Vivaro?

Mate used to drive a bus and after being given a different one for his route he found the screen washers didn't work. When he eventually applied the brake a bit harder he found out where all the water had been going due to getting a shower from behind the head lining :D
A favorite with rear wash/wipe on tailgates, then pipe fractures from opening & closing t/gate - Volvo 245 was a good example with the pipe fed thru the hinges, same with wiring.

The van is now booked in for a leak diagnostic with Renault Holdbrook in Crewe, I’m almost certain it’s leaking around the top of the windscreen, however I'd rather get it leak detected before taking action to resolve it. They want to do a diagnostic to be certain (£114, so not cheap!), which I’m happy for and hopefully claim back. I enquired about getting it sorted out under lifetime warranty as opposed to manufactures warranty as it’s a private vehicle following the material, design and workmanship criteria alongside reasonable expectation of the product life. They were very helpful and gave me the Renault headquarters number so that I could speak with them about it. They highlighted that they would refer it to Renault. Not an issue. Renault were very helpful and after the diagnosis of what the fault is as well as a Holdbrooks assessment of the vehicle (I take that to mean how well it’s been looked after / if it’s had an accident repair to front etc etc) they will then be able to consider whether to make a contribution towards the repair.

I'm hopeful this can be resolved fairly painlessly using good manners, politeness and not taking the ‘I know my rights’ approach. If not, I’m lucky, one of my sons is a lawyer...

Back