removing stuck screws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cambournepete

Established Member
Reaction score
Just a quick "review" of a couple of screw removal toolsets.

I needed to remove a jaw from a woodturning chuck, held far too tight by two hex screws.

1. Trend Pro Grabit Screw Remover
Bought this at the Ally Pally show just to remove these two screws.
It's hopeless, although the drill end managed to drill into the screw the removal end didn't grab at all and nothing happened.
A complete waste of £11.
I think I'll contact Trend to try and get a refund.

2. Axminster Cobalt Drill & Easy Out Set
Got this by accident in a box of stuff at an auction. Normal price about £8.
After choosing the correct size of drill bit I drilled a good clean hole in the screw head, inserted the removal tool and turned - it came out straight away with just a bit of strength required to stop the chuck rotating.
After doing it I read the Axminster catalogue and discovered I was suppopsed to use a tap wrench on the extractor rather than a cordless drill. :oops:

I'd recommend the Axminster set to anyone and avoid the Trend set like the plague. It's £3 cheaper to boot.

Thanks for the review pete, I have a stuck screws that I need to remove and was thinking about the best way to go about it. Now I know :)

cambournepete":2yzzvtad said:
Trend Pro Grabit Screw Remover
Bought this at the Ally Pally show just to remove these two screws.
It's hopeless, although the drill end managed to drill into the screw the removal end didn't grab at all and nothing happened.

It's not just me then. I've tried several times but never got anywhere. Mine now just sits in the drawer laughing at me!

Misterfish

thanks for that review, I was on here a few months ago asking exactly which one was the best system to get, now I know. Glad I never brought the TREND one now! I did actually pass the work on instead of tackling it myself. UPVC locking system doors..... grrrrr!

Most stuck screws/or bolts but no bigger than 5mm diam. I use a soldering iron and heat it up. Usually releases. Failing that, vinegar or WD40 helps.
Screw extractors I find most useless, but have a set of reverse spirals bits which fit a handle of a 'die' set (small vice grips can work) but these require a small (1.5 - 2mm) pilot to be drilled.

Allen Screws (recessed hex heads) are invariably hardened so drills a waste of time. Pal with a welder says he tack welds a bar on removes then chucks 'em away - he does recommend copious amounts of PlusGas/WD40 etc.

Brit-in-France":3py74lxn said:
Most stuck screws/or bolts but no bigger than 5mm diam. I use a soldering iron and heat it up. Usually releases. Failing that, vinegar or WD40 helps.
Didn't try heating, but WD40 didn't help.

Screw extractors I find most useless, but have a set of reverse spirals bits which fit a handle of a 'die' set (small vice grips can work) but these require a small (1.5 - 2mm) pilot to be drilled.
The Axminster set is a combination of drill bits and reverse spiral bits.

Allen Screws (recessed hex heads) are invariably hardened so drills a waste of time.
The drills worked fine - they are cobalt drills which seems to mean they are even harder.

Pal with a welder says he tack welds a bar on removes then chucks 'em away - he does recommend copious amounts of PlusGas/WD40 etc.
I don't do welding or indeed any metal work - far too much wood dust etc around for that and it's just so dirty... :lol:

Re: PlusGas - showing my age now as have not seen it for at least two years prior to coming to France 18 months ago.

It would be a boon here as if you want to keep your head above water you have to recycle timber, nuts and bolts (hence the need of a releasing agent)

Perhaps there's someone out there that can tell me of a french equivalent? Meanwhile on with the vinegar and/or WD40!

Nil Carborundham..........to all

Brit

Latest posts

Back