Removing shallow dent in birch ply

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graham N

Established Member
Reaction score
Just finishing a drill press table and dropped a spanner on the birch play top. Now has a shallow penny size dent. It is only a workshop tool but I know it will irritate me. I think it is just a little too deep to sand out without going through the top layer Is there a good way to raise the wood a bit by soaking so I can get enough to buff it out? Ironically the surface seems to resist moisture, although I am sure if I had spilt something on it instead of denting it it would have soaked in just fine. Or is there some other trick I don't know other than a rebuild? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_1214.png
    IMG_1214.png
    11.9 MB · Views: 0
The classic way is moisture and heat provided by a damp rag and a hot iron. Being plywood it may not be 100% successful if the underlying plys are bruised.
As you say it's a bit of workshop kit so its going to get some more abuse in the future. I would not attempt to sand it just to make it less obvious . I would be more interested in maintaining the flatness of the work surface rather than its cosmetic appearance.
Brian

It is a good point about the flatness, and it is one of the things that I was bothered about, thanks Brian. I may have to try the iron and rag method locally just to see if I can reduce it a bit, but probably just have to live with it.

It is a good point about the flatness, and it is one of the things that I was bothered about, thanks Brian. I may have to try the iron and rag method locally just to see if I can reduce it a bit, but probably just have to live with it.
French polishers used to put a litle bit
of meths in a dent in a veneered surface,
light it and blow it out before it scorched
the veneer.

French polishers used to put a litle bit
of meths in a dent in a veneered surface,
light it and blow it out before it scorched
the veneer.
Well it could be a laugh! Just a tad worried about doing that in a workshop still wreathed in dust from the sander/extractor incident on Sunday, but that's what insurance is for ...

When all else has failed, a dollop of 2 part filler, sand it down, coat of paint. Jobs a good un. Covers a multitude of my "errors"

Latest posts

Back