removing rust from tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ydb1md

Established Member
Reaction score
I've bought a few tools on the 'Bay that needed some surface rust removed. I've tried most of the usual methods -- from steel wool to CLR (a chemical). I've never tried electrolysis, though.

What's worked best for me has been cheapo lemon juice from the grocery store. It's more acidic than vinegar and easier to find than citric acid. It's also a lot cheaper than fresh lemons.

I tried using CocaCola and root beer but that's just too weird for me. :lol:

If you want wierd try brown sauce, it works well on on non ferrous materials, not tried it on steel though

Bean":t33i3v5k said:
If you want wierd try brown sauce, it works well on on non ferrous materials, not tried it on steel though

Brown sauce? Do you mean syrup??? I've heard about that. That is a curious one!!! :roll: :lol:

Dave I mean HP et al
My brother collects and deals in military cap badges, Brown sauce and coke are his favourite cleaning methods.

no dave what he means is brown ketchup :lol:

the most famous brand here in the uk is indeed HP,
now foreign owned like so much else :twisted:

all syrup does is gum up the works :?

but brown sauce is well known for cleaning brass and non-ferrous.

vinegar is certainly recommended for removing rust on cast iron pots and pans, but will eventually eat through it :cry:

lemon is of course citric which alf has used before.

paul :wink:

Back