Removing Difficult Screws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

custard

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to change the bulb in a security light. It's high up, so I'm on a ladder. Furthermore the light is on a bracket, so it's difficult to apply too much force. The screw is recessed, so I can't get pliers onto the head. Needless to say it's a steel machine screw in an aluminium housing, so I guess there's some unhelpful galvanic business going on!

The screw won't budge. Any suggestions?

I've tried dousing it in WD40 and leaving for 24 hours, still no joy.

From experience the only way to do it safely is to drill the screw out, having disconnected and taken the light off the wall. The last one I tried to disconnect left me with a pile of broken plastic from the junction box on the back, fortunately I was replacing it anyway. Given the price of the lights it is easier for me, as an electrician, and cheaper for the customer to replace the light with a new one. Again as they are paying for my time I recommend a decent LED light so I am not out fixing it in a few months. If you do use replace it with a halogen lamp coat all the screws with silicon grease, that increase the chances of it coming undone when you next replace a bulb.

Custard

I have heard from some of the chaps that do the old machine restorations that WD40 is rubbish for such purposes, what you need is penetrating oil. I believe PlusGas is a favoured brand.

Hope you get it sorted.

Terry.

If the light fitting contains a halogen lamp, I'd be inclined to scrap the whole thing and replace with a nice new LED unit (save money and penguins and time replacing bulbs).

I believe you're not too far from the sea so the aluminium has probably taken a turn for the worse.

I changed mine recently, and got a surprise - but only by good luck not a shock - when I discovered that it had been wired into (not the lighting circuit as one might expect, but the power ring circuit).

The trouble with trying to drill the screw out may be that the screw is tougher than the casting!

Not an easy job up a ladder in the dark. A squirt of 3-in-1 oil and leaving it until the morning might be a plan.

Cheers, W2S

Replace the light, for gods sake don't fall off the ladder for the price of a light, remember Rod Hull!

Pete

Good suggestions, thank you all.

I'll try a squirt of Plus Gas, but if that fails it's time to get a sparks in and go for an LED unit...as Pete pointed out, it would be crazy to get attacked by an Emu just over a security light.

Perhaps heating the surrounding aluminium housing with a butane mini torch might help the screw to budge.

Plus gas or heat would be my suggestions too (Unsure of how much heat you could get into it though).
Possibly a little tap on the screwdriver with a hammer in an attempt to 'shock' the screw and then use an impact driver.

Setting the torque down on a battery driver makes it work like a gentle impact driver and might just dislodge it, after a touch of heat and WD40.

Given the good contact between screw and aluminium housing any heat applied may just soak away into the aluminium before it can do any good and the amount of heat you would need will ruin any paint/plastic finish.

If possible squirt it with release fluid once a day for a week then give it another go. A dremel with cutting disk 'might' give you a good groove to get a bigger screwdriver on it.

Mate, if you can't get any force on it (you can't its upside down on a flimsy bracket on a ladder) isolate it and chop the pipper off. Impact drivers and the like only work if its nice and solid. As for heat - on an electrical fitting, well good luck with that.

If its that awkward to get to, cut it off at the main and run another light where you get reach it for future repairs.

After a good length of time a seal would have formed between the screw and whatever it's screwed into, that's why candle wax used to be applied to screws before they were driven in, to break this seal make sure you have a good screwdriver which fits the slot / screw well and 'tap' the head of the screwdriver with a hammer whilst turning the screwdriver, once the 'seal' is broken the screw will come out easily.

Andy

If it were me, i'd ring my young fit nephew to come and change it to a new LED. Helps that he's an electrician.

I've finally sorted this out, Plus Gas did the trick when WD40 didn't. So thanks again to Terry for his top tip!

Latest posts

Back