Removing a load bearing wall - any tips?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam

Established Member
Reaction score
We finally exchanged on our house (yippee!). We have a month or two overlap on our rental property, and whilst we have the opportunity to do a little building work without living in the middle of it, I'm keen to make use of it.

We would like to remove what I imagine is a load bearing wall. Its a bog-standard 1920s semi, e.g. front door, staircase straight ahead, front room with a dining room behind. We'd like to knock through from the living to the dining room.

Anyone got any hints or tips. We'll be doing it all properly - building regs etc. We will be paying someone else to do the work, a bulging disc in my back and lifting RSJ's don't seem to mix!

Anyone recommend a good builder in the Reigate area of Surrey? What about weight calculations? Do builders have a standard figure or do I need to find a structural engineer as well?

Thanks in advance,

Adam

Alf":c161u07k said:
The excitement's obviously got to you; shouldn't this be in Off Topic...? #-o :wink: Cheers, Alf

Doh :oops: I promise, I was looking at OT when I started the post - where did I leave it in the end?

Adam

You'll want a structural engineer - well, building regs and your buildings insurance company (don't forget to notify them) will want one anyway.

Cost me about £200 for a visit and calcs for something similar in London.

We had a wall taken out of our 20's house at Christmas. Builder was recommended by local council (and was great). He happily got on with it and we ignored details. Building regs guy came around during the job and said it looked fine.
Once we'd finished and plastered up, the building regs guy called and said "just before I sign off, can I take a look at your engineers calculations". The builder shrugged his shoulders and said "strange, they don't normally do that".
After complaining the building regs person admitted "we don't normally need calculations but it's a big hole you've made (just over 3m) so I thought I'd double check".
So we had to retrospectively call out a structural engineer (at £65 an hour). They needed to hack off the plaster to see the bricks (they trusted the builder about everything else so we didn't need to expose the lintel). Report cost £500 and basically said everything was fine. Building inspector signed it off.
I think we were unlucky but on the other hand doing it in the order we did meant more time, more mess and not being able to haggle the price of the survey so my vote would be to get an engineers report just in case.
Darren

Darren D":pf5kzz89 said:
I think we were unlucky but on the other hand doing it in the order we did meant more time, more mess and not being able to haggle the price of the survey so my vote would be to get an engineers report just in case.
Darren

I'm not even going to try and get by without the calcs - it'll be just my luck after taking this long to buy the damn thing that I'll get the inspector who asks to see them....

The one builder I do know to be reliabably good has just told me he's booked up until after Christmas!!! :shock:

Adam

Adam":291qwnl4 said:
Alf":291qwnl4 said:
The excitement's obviously got to you; shouldn't this be in Off Topic...? #-o :wink: Cheers, Alf

Doh :oops: I promise, I was looking at OT when I started the post - where did I leave it in the end?
Site Updates, etc etc You were probably sub-consciously thinking "building site" :lol:

Cheers, Alf

devonwoody":v7hu5esh said:
Best wishes to you and your new home, remember to take the bees with you, and purchase a yellow helmet. :)

Bees are already in their new home - they moved several weeks ago. I don't keep them in the garden, they are nestled into an out-apiary - which happens to be a sheltered site just near the north downs. Plenty of trees, hedges and wildflowers within reach. They are already putting some honey away which is great news for me!!!

Adam

back to the subject

After you have the calcs it should not be to much wor

YOU need props and a steel beam (based on the calcs)

Unfortunately it is normally a two or three mans jobs takes about 3 days

The most heavy part is putting the beam up (thats why you need two or three people) and getting all the rubble out

People think it is more work than it actually is (that is why the can charge so much

just remember when you put the props up to have plenty of long pieces of timber under nead it and above it to disburse the weight of the floor above over the lower floor,

If you are an confident DIY it can be done (just have the help of some mates with putting the beam in

AND when you put the beam in do NOT level it with pieces of small stone (they get crushed under the weight - seen this all to often)

Succes I KNOW YOU CAN DO IT

Mcluma":wvrif8tp said:
If you are an confident DIY it can be done (just have the help of some mates with putting the beam in

I've no doubt I could do it, but this disc in my back is what causes me a problem. Lifting and twisting are completely out for me at the moment unfortunately.

Adam

Adam":2gumgsfx said:
I've no doubt I could do it, but this disc in my back is what causes me a problem. Lifting and twisting are completely out for me at the moment unfortunately.

Adam

That is no good Adam, especially now you have so much work to do

Well in that case, either more mates (and you supervise) :wink:

or more help from the wife :wink: :wink:

I whish you well with your back

silly thought adam, why not get a decent small firm of architects
in to see it through. know some have bad reps, but they also can
ensure the work is done properly and on budget.

the other part of using an architect is that they can often suggest
an improvement that you may not have thought of that will make the
house a better more friendly place in which to live.

also its about time some of them put their training into force, and
of course they make life easier if you have to deal with an inspector.

since i am not an architect, this might seem over the top, but i do
know that occassionally they can save you money :whistle:

moving is such a pain, and then we all start working and living for too
long in the cr*p when we could get the donkey work done first, and
then enjoy the new place not be peed because there is always work to
be done.

my 2p
paul :wink:

Back