Baffled by Damp on Walls.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woody2Shoes":15c3axnt said:
..... I just built a cavity wall but used snapped headers to make it look like a solid wall - in flemish garden wall bond........

That's (almost) in every specification I write. I use Flemish bond with snapped headers in 95% of my jobs, I reckon. There is nothing I hate more than stretcher bond brickwork. When I rule the world stretcher bond will result in almost as instantaneous a visit to the stocks as plastic windows.

"When I rule the world stretcher bond will result in almost as instantaneous a visit to the stocks as plastic windows."

Hmmm...better to be thought a fool than type in a response and confirm it.... :? Screwit! Mike? Whats wrong wiv plaskit windaes?

Honest Guv, ah'm baffled. In my experience of aluminium, mahogany, PVC, the latter wins in terms of draughtproofing, cleaning, looks, maintenance.

So, go on please Master, point out the yawning chasm in my education. 8)

Sam

Waterlogged masonry can take months to dry out particularly in winter.

Woody2Shoes":23c98gm7 said:
There are also little traps for the unwary. I just built a cavity wall but used snapped headers to make it look like a solid wall - in flemish garden wall bond. There are also brick facades stuck old timber frame and things like mathematical tiles made to look like brick. I suppose these aren't really cavity walls but walls with voids in them! Cheers, W2S

I don't think you would find those in a house that's 130 years old though as in solid walls the headers would be through not snapped and most commonly in Flemish bond. Anything built after about 1930 would most likely have cavity walls.

Mike is right about stretcher bond it's downright boring but it is very quick to build which is why it was so popular with houses being built at astonishing rates using gangs of brickies / labourer paid largely piecework and who saw anything remotely ornamental as costing them money.

There are some really nice brick bonds around if you look closely.

PS
Mike just nuke 'em all. My house is built of Bradstone made to look like sandstone, bl**dy horrible material and it soaks up water like a sponge. Oh and I have plastic windas! :lol:

there is nothing wrong with stretcher bond brick work other than it's a bit dull, but the only people who will even notice that are people like you and me, to everyone else, it's a wall.
whats right with stretcher bond is that it's efficient, both in terms of number of bricks used (think it was Redrow that missed a course out of every house on an estate and built an extra bungalow with them) and in terms of time to lay and skill to lay.
yes English or Flemish bond has an interesting effect to it and when I see it I admire it (if done well) but neither can keep up when it comes to getting homes built quickly and to a cost that someone is happy to pay.

nowt wrong with PVC windows either, but that's a discussion for another day. :D

back to the thread. hope you've bought a decent size dehumidifier bear, those tiny little peltier ones aren't great.

Lons":3sfvx0pg said:
Woody2Shoes":3sfvx0pg said:
There are also little traps for the unwary. I just built a cavity wall but used snapped headers to make it look like a solid wall - in flemish garden wall bond. There are also brick facades stuck old timber frame and things like mathematical tiles made to look like brick. I suppose these aren't really cavity walls but walls with voids in them! Cheers, W2S

I don't think you would find those in a house that's 130 years old though as in solid walls the headers would be through not snapped and most commonly in Flemish bond. Anything built after about 1930 would most likely have cavity walls.

Mike is right about stretcher bond it's downright boring but it is very quick to build which is why it was so popular with houses being built at astonishing rates using gangs of brickies / labourer paid largely piecework and who saw anything remotely ornamental as costing them money.

There are some really nice brick bonds around if you look closely.

PS
Mike just nuke 'em all. My house is built of Bradstone made to look like sandstone, bl**dy horrible material and it soaks up water like a sponge. Oh and I have plastic windas! :lol:
What I meant was that things - old or new - aren't always what they might at first appear to be.
My Edwardian house has garden wall bond 9" thick downstairs and 9" thick rat-trap bond (with voids in) upstairs.
Cheers W2S

Woody2Shoes":3ld841gd said:
What I meant was that things - old or new - aren't always what they might at first appear to be.
My Edwardian house has garden wall bond 9" thick downstairs and 9" thick rat-trap bond (with voids in) upstairs.
Cheers W2S
Yeah quite right, I've had to deal with some very odd building examples, some of the internal wall building where they've let the apprentices loose with a trowel can be shocking and I've had to contend with no foundations whatsoever in a couple of cases.

Even newer builds, My BIL put a screw through a gas pipe running horizontally when no gas pipe should ever have been, just at picture hanging height and I've lost count of the number of electrical wires I've needed to re route in kitchen refurbs where they are horizontal just above worktops behind tiles. I never stick a nail or screw anywhere without checking with a locator first.

Back