Removing a lid.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caretaker

Established Member
Reaction score
I am turning some tulip wood about 3inches by 3inches and am trying to do a lid for the box.
This is what I have done so far.
I turned down about 1/4 inch deep and 1/4 down then put a hacksaw on the lower turning, after a bit I turned the lathe off and finished by hand.
Now I have a lid but needs cleaning up and polishing.
The next bit is to make the inside of the box, I have started but I think I need to cut in to the lid more than 1/4 inch.
Is there a proper way of doing a lid and box.
I am calling it a box but it is round.
Sorry that it is not very well explained, would some pictures help.

Hi Reg - yes,pictures always help.

A quick search on Google found this page ,which shows the three ways normally used to turn a box and lid from a single piece of timber.
From my personal experience,the hard bit is getting the fit of the lid right (not too loose,and not too tight) to be able to finish it - there's not much difference between one and the other :lol:

Hope this helps

Andrew

Hi Reg.

Using the 'proper' way to make a box depends on the style of box. Checking the link Andrew posted I usually use the second method for standard boxes, BUT what you should really do before making a box is to sit down and think of how you are going to turn and finish all the parts. With most boxes there is a sequence to follow so as you are able to turn and finish all the parts on the lathe.

i:e: the second method on the link. Hold piece between centres, turn spigot each end, and spigot in the middle somewhere for lid to fit on. Part off lid section through the middle spigot.

Fit lid section in chuck, turn and finish inside of lid, making sure the inside is slightly smaller than the original lid spigot..

Fit base of box in chuck, re-turn spigot so as you can jam the lid part onto it. Turn lower box shape, and turn outside of lid. Sand and finish.

Take lid off spigot, hollow out lower part of the box. Lightly sand the spigot so as the lid fits slightly easier, sand and finish lower box.

Chuck a piece of scrap wood, turn spigot so as you can jam chuck the box. Not too tight in case you split the box. Turn and finish the bottom of the box.

Voila now present to SWMBO.

Good luck, and take your time.

I am sorry to report the top split on my box.
Now have a nice open pot.
Visited Yandles again, got more blanks to practice on.

Weekend picked up some wood from a friend, well part of a tree, most was split but may get some bowls out of it.
A bit confused what wood I have, looks like two different woods.
I did ask and they said sycamore and eucalyptus.

Back