Recycling wood shavings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dddd

Established Member
Reaction score
I was just about to wonder down the tip today with a few bags of wood shavings from the latest project when I started thinking about recycling, and whether or not I could use them on the compose heap. Has anyone tried this? Do they rot down fast enough or do they just make a mess of otherwise perfectly good compost?
It's a mixture of mainly hardwood with a few bits of softwood in there as well.
Plus I'll be getting a P/T soon so I anticipate that I will be producing a lot more dust and chippings, any thoughts on these?

HI d,
we in Italy give to the pizzeria or bakery whit woodoven,like this we make up a few money ,moderate manner.

greetings all to you

Carmine

I do loads of camping so what I do with some of the shavings is fill up a cupcake paper with the stuff then pour melted wax in there until full. Add a wick and you have a great camp fire starter. In fact I just came back from camping and used what I made every night to start my fires. Guess you can cut down a paper coffee cup for the same thing.

I sometimes throw in a bag of wood shavings from the P/T into the compost bin and give everything a good mix with a garden fork. Wood shavings act as 'brown' composting material (along with egg boxes etc) which are needed in about a 50/50 ratio to your normal green stuff - everything mulches down without a prob - Rob

Like Rob says, mix it with the fresh stuff, grass cuttings or whatever, make it nice and damp to start with, and will rot down nicely.

Only thing to avoid are any shavings from treated timber or from timber such as yew which will damage plants even when rotted down.

Cheers, Paul. :D

Latest posts

Back