recutting saw teeth

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lurcher

Established Member
Reaction score
hi lads just wantted to share whith you all i have had great sucsess in recutting teeth onto some tennon saws.
I bought 3 18" hacksaw blades with10/ 12/ 14/ tpi .
I filed saw plate flat and square then put a hacksaw blade infront of my saw in the saw vice then whith a 5" double extra slim file i set about recutting.
I made 3 passes in between the teeth wich left a nice even cut so when the hacksaw blade is taken away i had to file the teeth with 3 further cuts to make a full set of even teeth .
Then i put a minimum set on the teeth before a final 2 passes to sharpen up i am so impressed that i will no longer send a saw away to be recut .
Try it you will be impressed.

Excellent stuff!

It's actually not that hard to do, given a decent saw-vice, good light and a bit of patience (especially for the longer saws with finer teeth!). A skill well worth acquiring; you can suit your saws to the work you do, and like preparing the flat side of plane irons and chisels, you only need to do it once.

pedder":25afvuel said:
bugbear":25afvuel said:
Recutting is actually easier than reworking existing, but badly out of shape, teeth.

BugBear

OH, I did convince you at the end?

cutting-new-teeth-in-a-saw-t29063.html?hilit=file

No, I've always believed this!

But despite this, I often do rework uneven teeth, to minimise the amount of metal removed. I'm somewhat OCD
on maximising the life of tools, which I view as precious.

BugBear

pedder":1c3c60js said:
bugbear":1c3c60js said:
Recutting is actually easier than reworking existing, but badly out of shape, teeth.

BugBear

OH, I did convince you at the end?

cutting-new-teeth-in-a-saw-t29063.html?hilit=file

Cheers
Pedder

Thanks for the link Pedder. I agree with what you are saying on rhythm and counting strokes etc. I'm ultra wet behind the ears with saw sharpening. The biggest issue I've had so far is as I often do my hobby stuff in the evening I'm often a bit tired. As a result when looking at all those small teeth I get cross eyed. Had my eyes checked and they are fine, was thinking on some cheap reading glasses to help. I must try cutting some new teeth from scratch!

phil.p":1p29zhxt said:
Reading glasses might help, but I expect bright light with no shadows will help you more.

Agreed. Good daylight really does seem to be a lot better than any artificial light I've tried, especially with smaller saw teeth. To get the feel of the job, it's well worth doing a couple of larger-toothed saws first; rip to start with, cross-cut only when you're happy with your results on the rips.

Dovetail saws are a real eye-strain even in decent daylight; a headband magnifier would be a real boon to anyone who's eyesight is not quite all it used to be.

lurcher":pwnfa3zb said:

Most hacksaw blades start at about 18 tpi.................... Where did you obtain these 10 & 12 tpi coarse hacksaw blades?

Argus":1zcaup3e said:
lurcher":1zcaup3e said:

Most hacksaw blades start at about 18 tpi.................... Where did you obtain these 10 & 12 tpi coarse hacksaw blades?

Power hacksaw blades are MUCH coarser than handsaw ones, if this is the way you want to go.

BugBear

For recutting teeth I print out one of the paterns floating around on the net, and then tack a strip of these on the near jaw of my saw vise. Then just give a nick with the edge of the file for each tooth.

I tried once with a hacksaw blade, but the one I got in 18 ppi was far from straight. That made it a lot more difficult.

IMG_0976.JPG

lurcher,

I looked at the video. Seeing Paul lay out, and sharpen a saw in that vid, takes a lot of the mystery out of it for me. I have read many posts on this subject, yet it seems most are very confusing, and always leave out several details. I will be giving this a try when I have a little more play time, now having 6 handsaws to sharpen, I will also be looking up more of his video's, seems a very pleasant person, and good teacher. Thank You for the post. Jamey

Over on Lumberjock a guy calling himself "Brit" set out to learn about saws in general, including restoration and sharpening.

He did an extensive series of rather good illustrated blog posts;

http://lumberjocks.com/Brit/blog/series/4708

He then collated his knowledge into an excellent (and FREE) video;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-_MF2Mnxwc

If you want to learn about sharpening saws, open a brew, sit down, relax and watch the video.

BugBear

Back