Recovering info from a dead computer PROGRESS SO FAR

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnelliott

Established Member
Reaction score
My computer, several years old now, has decided not to respond to mouse of keyboard, although the hard drive appears to be working. There are a few other snags as well. It had been playing up for some time, so much so that I was backing up to My Documents to CD frequently.
Anyway, I've now replaced it with a laptop, and all is well though there is still some stuff on the old unit I would like to access. Any ideas as to how this could be done?
TIA
John

Take old drive out, more simple than you realise. Then double it up with a mate's computer. It will probably be an IDE type drive and to do so it is quite simple.

Then using his computer you can then extract the data from this drive.

It sounds ominous but actually is quite simple.

OR

If the current PC still boots up then you can still get in via the laptop using a remote access utility. There are many to use. Post if you need to know utilities for this purpose. It also help to know what the old Windows version i eg Windows 98 or Me or what?

You can always buy an external hard drive case, put the hardrive in and access from your laptop via usb or firewire. You then have an external hardrive to backup your laptop to.

Thanks, Brian, and welcome to the forum. The old computer had been upgraded to XP when XP was first released. Any more info on what utilities to use ( and even what sort of cable, plugs etc) would be welcome. Assume that I know very little.
Thanks
John

So I take it that the PC does boot up but your mouse & keybd does not work?

If yes then you should be able to get in.

If no then double up the disk on a friends PC as I described.

Let me know which way as you have not made it clear and it is an explaination either and I will help you the selected manner.

Note that doubling up is zero cost BTW and the fastest way without cost, just so you know!

If not, is a procedure.

Is your antivirus up to date John? If I was asked to install your HDD in my computer, I'd be rather concerned that you might have contracted a virus which was attempting a denial of service through your ports.

Gill

BrianD":30k402as said:
So I take it that the PC does boot up but your mouse & keybd does not work?

If yes then you should be able to get in.

If no then double up the disk on a friends PC as I described.

Let me know which way as you have not made it clear and it is an explaination either and I will help you the selected manner.

Note that doubling up is zero cost BTW and the fastest way without cost, just so you know!

If not, is a procedure.

The situation with the computer is that when started up it gets so far into the start-up procedure then a window opens saying that pop3trap nas to close and invites me to send or don't send a report. As the mouse doesn't work i can't respond to this window which remains open.
The keyboard does work at least partially, but I haven't been able to establish any control over the computer.

Unfortunately I don't have access to a co-operative friend with a computer, so that option isn't available to me.

The idea about fitting the old drive into an external drive box sounds pretty good, perhaps that's the one to go with?

John

John

If your TAB and ENTER keys work then you should be able to tab through the various icons/whatever on the screen until you highlight the button on this pop3trap (part of PC-cillin) and then hit enter.

Mind you, you'll still have a duff keyborad and mouse :? I assume you've replugged them

Hi there,

it seems that your computer get to a connection point. This is good.

Sidetrack: You could buy an external housing and USB connect as suggested. Simple and is quite effective.

If you are not then make sure both that computer and the new one are connected to your router. Open a DOS box by going to start - run and type CMD. A DOS box will open type in the following ipconfig and wait for answer. You prob will be 192.168.0.3, if so the old conputer is 192.168.0.2. Write these down - it can be the other way round also keep in mind. Then type exit.

Open File Manager goto Tools - Map Network Drive. A dialog opens and you type the following next to the Folder: \\192.168.0.2\C$ exactly, then select different user. Type in the prompt User: Administrator and PWD: XXX; XXX being the password.

You then are in and the old drive is visible to the File Manager asper the new drive F: or G: or whatever you selected.

Browse and get your file.

Done.

I have done this many time ans it seems your computer boots up sufficiently for you to do this.

Good Luck.

BrianD":1hsdh2ss said:
make sure both that computer and the new one are connected to your router.

:lol: Preferably a Makita with a large diameter bit equiped! :lol:

Im afraid this will not help your computer, but it will relieve your frustration!!

The machines have taken over!!

Best of luck
Julian (computer illiterate)

Freetochat":wvv2hu7m said:
You can always buy an external hard drive case, put the hardrive in and access from your laptop via usb or firewire. You then have an external hardrive to backup your laptop to.

This is exactly what I've done (Thanks FTC, and evcerybody else).

By going to my computer and into drive e I can find all my old files, apart, of course, from the ones I actually want.
The folder I particularly want is sent items from Outlook Express. I'll keep trying various tricks but if anybody has any ideas about this, I would be glad to hear them

I did try srtarting up and running OE from the icon on the page of stuff in drive e, but the only folders I could find were the stuff in the new computer

TIA
John

do a search for *.pst files on the drives. These should be inbox.pst, outbox.pst etc or maybe just outlook.pst.

You can then import the files from you old drive into outlook.

Andy

LyNx":1ymbjxr5 said:
do a search for *.pst files on the drives. These should be inbox.pst, outbox.pst etc or maybe just outlook.pst.

You can then import the files from you old drive into outlook.

Andy

Thanks Andy
I tried it but no files found unfortunately either in drive c or e
John

John,

Try searching for *.dbx files, I think thats the correct one for outlook express 6, *.pst is the file name used in outlook.

John if you email me on [email protected] I will send you a screenshot of typical location of the OE .dbx files on an XP machine.

Because you now have the files on a disc that you do not 'own' all rights as your OP system considers them as someone elses private files, you will not be able to see or access them unless you as administator take ownership of them.

To take ownership see:
Windows XP support Article ID: 308421

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP

Previously published under Q308421

INTRODUCTION
This article describes how to take ownership of a file or a folder where you have been denied access.

If you must access a file or a folder that you do not have access to, you must take ownership of that file or folder. When you do this, you replace the security permissions to have access.

Back to the top

MORE INFORMATION
How to take ownership of a folder
Note You must be logged on to the computer with an account that has administrative credentials. If you are running Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, you must start the computer in safe mode, and then log on with an account that has Administrative rights to have access to the Security tab.

If you are using Windows XP Professional, you must disable Simple File Sharing. By default, Windows XP Professional uses Simple File sharing when it is not joined to a domain.

For additional information about how to do this, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
307874 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307874/) How to disable simplified sharing and set permissions on a shared folder in Windows XP
To take ownership of a folder, follow these steps: 1. Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
2. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).
3. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
4. In the Name list, click your user name, or click Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group. If you want to take ownership of the contents of that folder, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.
5. Click OK, and then click Yes when you receive the following message:
You do not have permission to read the contents of directory folder name. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control?

All permissions will be replaced if you press Yes.
Note folder name is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of.
6. Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and its contents.

Back to the top

How to take ownership of a file
Note You must be logged on to the computer with an account that has administrative credentials.

To take ownership of a file, follow these steps: 1. Right-click the file that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
2. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).
3. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
4. In the Name list, click Administrator, or click the Administrators group, and then click OK.

The administrator or the Administrators group now owns the file. To change the permissions on the files and folders under this folder, go to step 5.
5. Click Add.
6. In the Enter the object names to select (examples) list, type the user or group account that you want to give access to the file. For example, type Administrator.
7. Click OK.
8. In the Group or user names list, click the account that you want, and then select the check boxes of the permissions that you want to assign that user.
9. When you are finished assigning permissions, click OK.

It's frustrating when an old computer starts acting up, right? If you want to recover files from Crucial SSD on the old unit, here's an idea: remove the SSD: If your old computer has a Crucial SSD (Solid State Drive), you can take it out and connect it to your new laptop using an external SSD enclosure. This way, you can access the files on it and transfer them to your new laptop. It's a nifty way to salvage your data from the old unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back