Record RSDE2

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chippy1970

Established Member
Reaction score
i've had this extractor a year or more and when working it gets very hot I mainly have it attached to my EB ts250 table saw and cut alot of MDF it even makes the workshop unbearable because of all the hot air blowing out of it. Has anyone else used one and is there a solution, oh and mine has the main filter and this is then covered with a paper disposable bag but i've noticed the new ones come with free cloth filter bag. i've spoken to Record who dont seem worried but I dont think it should be getting so hot.

I have the same model, and have never noticed it getting hot. Sorry, thats not much help.

Since the air passes through the motor, the heat generated by the motor is passed to the air being expelled. If you run the extractor for a long period of time the motor will get hot and as a result the air will be warmer too - this is normal. If the motor is getting very hot, you must be running it for too long without breaks.

Try cleaning/replacing the filters to increase airflow which should help the extractor dissipate it's heat more efficiently.

Hello Chipp71970
Vacuum extractors produce a lot of heat (skinny pipes,blind filters,motor cooling etc) The simple solution is to blow the exhaust outside,use ducting suitable for high temperatures so you don't get a melt-down.This has the advantage of getting rid of the very fine dust which tends to be forced through simpler machines. Vacuum motors tend to have a thermocouple in the windings to cut the power if it reaches dangerous levels, you could check this with Record to put your mind at rest
Shrubby

Thanks for the quick replies and no I don't run it for long at all only 5 to 10 minutes at a time and it gets hot instantly almost. What I have found is that the paper bag filter gets a covering of mdf and this must be muffling it. If you brush it off it stays cooler for awhile until its covered again.

The extractor has a cowling on top to keep noise down i suppose this must make it hot too.

Anyone else with the same extractor please let me know how you use yours in detail thanks

I plug mine in and switch it on, empty it when full and change the filter about once every 2 months. :wink: However, I hardly ever use MDF. I can imagine how MDF fibres might clog the filter quickly. Do you have the same problem when working with wood?

Not too sure as most of the time i use mdf but sometimes i run a bit of oak or pine etc thru and there is still mdf dust in the system so I couldn't tell if there was a difference. Im sure it is the mdf but until someone else with an rsde2 who uses mdf comments we wont know.

Latest posts

Back