Record Power or Axminster Bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

segovia

Established Member
Reaction score
I think I have narrowed the choice of my next bandsaw

Record Power 350 or the Axminster 400N - both about the same price at £520.00 -

record has 5 year warranty
Axminster slightly deeper cut at 250
Motor both 2Hp
blade width the same at 19mm
table slightly larger on the Record power
Axminster 50kg heavier

Are there any 350 and 400N owners out there who can add anything to this ?

You get a lot more weight for your money on the Axminster saw which should be something.

I would not expect anyone has both models in the workshop so you could not really expect a definitive answer.

I Purchased the Axminster 450n model 14 days ago, the delivery and service of setting up was excellent.

The saw is OK and the Axminster guy on this forum will help if in genuine need with extra service.

My previous saw was the Record 12 and that did all I asked as well.

As an owner of a Record 500, but I might say go for the Axminster in this case. That's not because I have any reservations re my RP, or the RP350, but the Axminster gives you a lot for the price. Floor-standing, 400mm wheels... But I seriously doubt it would get close to 250mm depth ripping. Unless you pay a lot more, I generally reckon take the max depth and assume about 0.6 of that - and note it is only 1500 watts which is not much for a machine of this capacity.
One thing re the RPs - they quote OUTPUT power, and my 500 has masses of it. I suspect the 350 would have more actual grunt, and the wheels will be better made and balanced. Essentially it will be a trade between better detail quality, and sheer amount of machine for the money.
Also, and very important - throw the blade aside and get at least one good one - with either machine the supplied blades are poor. everyone here will tell you to go to Ian at Tuffsaws. If you do a lot of ripping get a bi-metal as it will go about 8 times longer, and blade-changing is a hassle.
We do love a bandsaw though - fine machines indeed ;)

I had a look at the record 350 this morning at the Toolcentre in Blackburn, I was very surprised to see that the casing was almost identical to my metabo 317 which I am disposing of. However the build quality of the components is significantly better than my Metabo and it has a 1500w motor which is 2HP. I then want to see the Axminster and was very disappointed, the finish is dreadful. Their "trade" machines are a much better quality but twice the price. I am leaning towards the Record Power now which is the same size as my Metabo, more power and better finish.

Interesting, and well researched Segovia. My hunch was the Rp would be a better build. My thought now is look at the second hand ones... maybe a nice Startrite for say £300. I think that is what I would do.

condeesteso":3lq2u0tz said:
My thought now is look at the second hand ones... maybe a nice Startrite for say £300. I think that is what I would do.

I tried to go down that route - but not a chance of a Startrite for £300 in my experince. I ended up with a BS350 for that price, though in fairness I didn't haggle too much. Good machine, mind.

condeesteso":o4bw2isw said:
My thought now is look at the second hand ones... maybe a nice Startrite for say £300. I think that is what I would do.

Yes, well worth spending a few weeks looking out for a good used Startrite. Can't beat the quality unless it's been flogged hard and even then spare parts are still available for some models.

I think I've said this before but as it's relevant I'll go ahead and say it again; for 99% of the tasks that 99% of amateur woodworkers need a bandsaw for IMHO you can't do much better than a used, made in England, Startrite 352. I've got a lovely single phase one made in the late 70's. It's built like a tank but very accurate and refined at the same time. I think I picked mine up for a little under £500 just over a year ago. There are always loads for sale so if you aren't happy with the condition or price just walk away and another will come along. It will also be worth more second hand when/if you want to move it on.

memzey":3mt5o9h4 said:
I think I've said this before but as it's relevant I'll go ahead and say it again; for 99% of the tasks that 99% of amateur woodworkers need a bandsaw for IMHO you can't do much better than a used, made in England, Startrite 352. I've got a lovely single phase one made in the late 70's. It's built like a tank but very accurate and refined at the same time. I think I picked mine up for a little under £500 just over a year ago. There are always loads for sale so if you aren't happy with the condition or price just walk away and another will come along. It will also be worth more second hand when/if you want to move it on.

I have been looking for a few weeks and they seem to go for between £900 and £1000 for single phase. I am sure they are worth it but it is a stretch for a budget workshop.

Fair enough Gareth. FYI I got mine from a bloke in Wheathampstead who even brought it down to me (Chiswell Green) in his van. I did have to look for a few months though. If you are patient enough I'm sure one will come along. It's also not as daunting as you might suspect to convert one from three phase to single which should make finding one easier as three phase machines tend to go for a lot less. In the meantime this place is a great resource and you never know, perhaps some nice local member (cough) might help you out with band sawing stuff until you are sorted :)

memzey":2er9pih9 said:
Fair enough Gareth. FYI I got mine from a bloke in Wheathampstead who even brought it down to me (Chiswell Green) in his van. I did have to look for a few months though. If you are patient enough I'm sure one will come along. It's also not as daunting as you might suspect to convert one from three phase to single which should make finding one easier as three phase machines tend to go for a lot less. In the meantime this place is a great resource and you never know, perhaps some nice local member (cough) might help you out with band sawing stuff until you are sorted :)

You are local then! Careful what you offer ;)

I was wondering about getting a 3ph version and converting but my need is not urgent yet so I am content to watch and wait for now.

Thanks for the help so far.

Back