Record Power BS350 upper wheel side to side wobble

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taewyn

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I've been trying to reduce the rather significant vibration on my bandsaw (Record Power BS350S the last two days. After running both the motor and lower wheel in isolation without much vibration, I think it must be related to the upper wheel.
The balancing of the wheel seems to be good. I noticed significant side to side play on the whole weel+tensioning parts though. I am aware that forwards and backwards play is normal due to the tracking adjustment, but is side to side play normal ? Basically if I am facing the wheel from the door opening, I can push the left or right side back by about a centimeter.
I think this is because the pivot for the tracking adjustment has quite a bit of play in it's track. I also noticed the washers (? not sure how to call them, the black rings) allow about an inch of movement left/right for the pivot.
I wanted to link some pictures/video, but I am not allowed to do so yet.
I would appreciate any help with this problem. Thanks !

Edit:
Video of the wheel wobble

And pitures of the pivot (big file warning !):
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rv0vL9nhFHGLO69-EjYgwxA4724WkaIs
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KU0nDXHndSeQEps5nmJF_p6w9bMBwGM5

Hello
You only need three comments to be able to post piccys.
I believe Sunnybob of this parish had some trouble with his BS350 wheel bearings which were easy and cheap
to upgrade.
He frequents here and must have something on it
Might be worth taking a piccy none the less.
Welcome to the forum
Tom

Ttrees":bx4vtiph said:
Hello
You only need three comments to be able to post piccys.
I believe Sunnybob of this parish had some trouble with his BS350 wheel bearings which were easy and cheap
to upgrade.
He frequents here and must have something on it
Might be worth taking a piccy none the less.
Welcome to the forum
Tom
Thanks ! I will see if I can edit the pictures into the first post after posting this.
Edit: links are in the opening post now

I would wait to see what Sunnybob has to say,
All I can say is to take off the top wheel and make sure its not the bearings that are shot.
It should be a similar procedure as in this video ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-aHHxEKw6g
Would there be a component missing that makes that solid, it may be more obvious if the wheel were off?
Tom

You don't say if this is a new dvelopment or has been steadily getting worse. I can't imagine bearings beings that bad without having failed compeletely in which case you would notice from the smoke! Have you had it apart prior to this wobble which I agree is excessive tosay the least.

Is the wobble video with the tension released? I have the same machine and it wobbles like that with tension released but tightens up with tension on.

As has been said, this is normal with the tension released. My BS350 does the same but tracks and runs fine.

Is your bandsaw standing on a level surface? Mine vibrates like crazy if it’s not on a completely level bit of floor.

Cheers
Simon.

Doingupthehouse":3g400jy4 said:
Is your bandsaw standing on a level surface? Mine vibrates like crazy if it’s not on a completely level bit of floor.
Cheers
Simon.
My BS350 is the same on a pretty level floor. I wedge 1mm or 2mm pastic spacers under the stand legs to compensate.

Sorry, late to the party....
i have an axminster 350. But I suspect the mechanics are the same.
On mine the bearings started clicking very loudly in a VERY short time from new.

Have you ever checked car wheel bearings? maybe not if youre younger than 50 :roll:

Anyway, remove the blade, remove the power, Grab the wheel firmly at the top and the bottom. Push and pull alternately. I know the whole assembly will move, but you need to see if the wheel moves before the rest of it. A slight movement or click and its rubbish.
Or, just remove the wheel, find a bar that is a close fit in the bearing and try to move it side to side. ANY movement is bad. A bearing should rotate freely with your finger stuck in the hole, but no wobble or noises are allowed.
Bearings are very cheap even good ones, either kyoto or skf. Very easy to swap with minimal tools. In fact if this is a used machine, i would just swap both wheels out as a matter of course.

Back