Record or Stanley?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CroppyBoy1798

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a few basic (but obviously of some quality) run of the mill planes, have a c.1950's record jack and some cheapo No4 :oops:, but I'd like to replace that and pick up another few. I cant quite afford the Cliftons, Veritas's or Lie-Nielson's, not just yet anyway! :p

I know the last three makers are the creme de la creme of hand plane makers these days, but werent the planes of choice in workshops years back Stanleys or Records (obviously before quality slipped) so they should be just as capable and servicable today. I think Stanley are a longer established maker? I'd like to try pick up a few off e-bay but was wondering what maker I should be concentrating on more so that the other. For some reason I have a tendancy to lean towards Record's (pre 50's/60's) and I think I know what to be looking out for with regard to the frogs etc.

I hear the 'Stanley Handyman' are quite good planes........... :twisted:

I take it the likes of 'Acorn', 'Footprint' and 'Rapier' planes I can totally disregard?

If you like the earlier Records, I'd stick with them. They're good planes. Of the Stanleys, USA-made examples are usually preferable, but folks often get particularly keen on a certain "type", only low front knobs, etc and it can all get complicated quite fast. I've forgotten most of what I ever knew to be honest; it's something of a relief. :lol:

I'd suggest going to a car boot sale - our local one always has a selection of Stanley and Record number 4's (and big wooden try/jointers) for about 2 quid each. At that price you can afford to buy one of each and see what you like.

ro":18g14g49 said:
I'd suggest going to a car boot sale - our local one always has a selection of Stanley and Record number 4's (and big wooden try/jointers) for about 2 quid each. At that price you can afford to buy one of each and see what you like.

Almost all of my planes came from bootfairs and the fettling and tuning is part of the fun...it makes you understand how the plane works and what it needs to get it whooshing and continue to do so throughout its life.

You also have the satisfaction that you have saved a tool from the scrapyard.

Look for ones that are older...pre-war particularly...

I prefer Records myself but there is not a lot in it.

As RO says...they are so cheap these days and ubiquitous that you can bid down to next to nothing and afford to make mistakes.

Good luck!

Jim

Cheers for the help guys! Unfortunately here in ol' Eire a decent market/boot sale are a hard thing to come across (plenty of markets but they sell rubbish for the most part and when you do find the odd tool they charge an arm and a leg!! :roll:). I find it hard to watch 'Bargain Hunt' sometimes when I see some of those magnificent markets and car boot sales!! JUst the thought of sellers selling proper antiques, militaria and old handtools.....enough to make you keel over!! :oops:

ro":1s0rzfvs said:
LuptonM":1s0rzfvs said:
How would u tell if its pre-war or not?

For Record planes: http://www.recordhandplanes.com/dating.html

and for Stanley (it's a bit more complicated) http://homepage.mac.com/galoot_9/ascii_dating_chart.html

It can be complicated for both.

Don't forget a pre-war lever-cap can hide a Post-war frog. A low knob can be made up and fitted to a high-knob model etc.

Got caught on eBay with a rogue lever-cap, when I should have asked the seller a question but didn't!

Still it was a No. 5 and a half, so I kept it!

John :wink:

Back