Record Hand Planes RIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scouse

Established Member
Reaction score
I note with much regret that following the death last year of David, it's author, the recordhandplanes.com website appears to have gone offline.

A real shame, it was a great resource.

It seems a crying shame that such knowledge which may only have existed online could be lost. I'd never even seen this before, but as I begin to investigate old hand planes I can see this will be valuable. Least it's on archive.org for now. I must admit to grabbing an archive of the site whilst I still can.

It's a shame there is no copyright information that I can see - had it been under the right creative commons license or something, I'd have been happy to mirror it as always have spare space. I wouldn't feel right doing that without permission.

Are there many more sites that have suffered such a fate that we know of? If not mirroring, then at least maybe we can compile a list of links to them on archive.org (stop me if this has prob already been done!).

It worries me that Alf's site may go the same way - now that she has lost the faith. Her work on boat anchors is invaluable.

Cheers, Vann.

whiskywill":9svrypsj said:
How do I access it on Archive.org? Do I have to register?

I typed in Google for the archive site then used the search bar for the recordhandplanes.com site.
Up came a calender sort of page with blue dots highlighting when the site had been saved. Click on a blue dot then up comes the record site, 18th December was the one I picked.
It was a bloody good read and will be a shame if it disappears.

As suggested above by cjp about "mirroring" the site surely there must be a way to find who now owns or has inherited the site.
Just wondering if Derek Cohen may have an address, seems likely to me two guys from down under with huge interest in planes may have crossed paths at some time.

Vann":ci5cxa7u said:
It worries me that Alf's site may go the same way - now that she has lost the faith. Her work on boat anchors is invaluable.

I see her site was last updated in 2011. Has she lost all interest in woodworking or has something else happened?

Curiosity.
Reading David Lynchs website, on dating Record planes, I see that after a certain date Qualcast did all the castings.
I have several Stanley planes, which also show the Qualcast foundry marks, indeed almost all the uk made planes I have seen, have very similar foundry marks. Frog shapes after this date all seem similar. Was there only 1 set of moulds, being used?

I wonder if Stanley UK planes could be dated by this site.

Bod

Bod":2m43inwr said:
Curiosity.
Reading David Lynchs website, on dating Record planes, I see that after a certain date Qualcast did all the castings.
I have several Stanley planes, which also show the Qualcast foundry marks, indeed almost all the uk made planes I have seen, have very similar foundry marks. Frog shapes after this date all seem similar. Was there only 1 set of moulds, being used?

I wonder if Stanley UK planes could be dated by this site.

Bod

Possibly. I have it on good authority from people I trust that Qualcast did casting work for Stanley as well as Record. Whether they used the same patterns or not is another question.

cagenuts":3m3l2rn0 said:
Vann":3m3l2rn0 said:

I see her site was last updated in 2011. Has she lost all interest in woodworking or has something else happened?

If you look at her blog - http://cornishworkshop.blogspot.co.uk/ you can see that she started blogging about pens and calligraphy for a while, but stopped doing so last November. She has no profile on here any more. I don't think she's active on Woodnet or the Old Tools List, but others who pay closer attention to those may know better.

If you are still keeping a discrete eye on us all, Alf, you are sorely missed!

AndyT":2ubqhhcu said:
Possibly. I have it on good authority from people I trust that Qualcast did casting work for Stanley as well as Record. Whether they used the same patterns or not is another question.

It might imply that the iron quality was similar between them, although any given factory is capable
of applying a wide range of production processes at the instruction (and payment...) of the client.

BugBear

Latest posts

Back