Record Grinder. Veritas Jig. Tormek WM200 & The Great Escape

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bm101

Lean into the Curve
Reaction score
Hi. More daft questions!
I recently bought a Record Power 8" dry Grinder from another forum member who was selling a fair amount of nice tools due to a mountain biking injury. It's the one with the 40mm white wheel.

m9n1hVS.jpg

Included in the (fair) price was a Veritas jig and a dressing stone for the grey wheel.
I'm in the middle of a self imposed few month long shed ban while I complete a loft extension so it's sat down the shed for a few weeks all on it's lonesome.
I took a look at it the other day and realised the jig was missing the angle setter. Did a bit of research and found it seemed to be held in fairly low regard anyway perhaps unusually for Veritas gear.
Its the separate bit in the photo here:

4xqdYYV.jpg

I gave the fella a bell and he said he thinks he might know where it is but I've not heard back. Some older threads I looked at concerning the veritas jig mostly suggested the Tormek angle setting jig is far superior anyway.
I hedged my bets, bit my tongue and got it from axminster.
https://www.axminster.co.uk/tormek-wm-2 ... ter-368028
Clever bit of kit I suppose but bit lumpy for a bit of plastic maybe.
I know there's methods of establishing angles/bevels etc without using such stuff but I get so little time I'd rather spend it actually working on something I find enjoyable. Maths is not really my strong point. :D

Being a bank holiday Sunday I thought I'd take a break from DIWhydideverstartthispoxyextension before I went full blown Ives

oSUn4lL.jpg

and take a veeeeeery casual early morning walk down the shed with a coffee in my hand and a ciggy in my gob, casually dispersing trouserfuls of dirt, timing the patrols of the Kommandant and her two little Goons ( :| ) . Maybe sort the grinder out and get a few irons sorted so they are ready and waiting, knock a few German Civilian Wartime sets of Papers out... Sort through the wood store.... You know the score. :D

04bfUGC.png

Soon as I'd dodged the searchlights, bribed the guards with some Red Cross Ciggies and made it to the shed I saw my mistake.
The tormek guide won't fit on the wheel with the guards in place. Not the German ones but the Record ones. Can I safely remove the side panels so the jig will fit on the wheel?
I need to alter/hacksaw the jig so I can use it on the white wheel anyway. I'm happy to play about with it within reason but I'd rather ask wise heads before I start messing about in case there is summat I have missed. Fairly certain I'm ok to remove them but I'd like to be sure.

Cheers chaps. Any advice or help appreciated as always.
Just don't say good luck for Christ Sake. :shock:

o8TDc2S.jpg

Thanks as always,
Chris

Very funny!

I once worked in a workshop that had the Veritas tool rest for their grinder. The device used to set the tool rest angle was a bit of hardwood about 9" long and about 1" x 1 1/4", the 1" side sat flat on the rest and the 1 1/4" was trimmed at one end with a 25/65 degree angle. There was a different angle on the other end, I forget what, and nobody ever used that end anyway.

The main purpose for the angle guide was that the tool rest was pretty old and worn out so kept slipping, consequently you checked it before use and then got used to being very gentle as you ground your tools. If the tool rest had been in better shape and could reliably hold its position I guess the angle setter wouldn't have been there in the first place.

I wouldn't worry about the angle setter, simply get a little hardwood stick like the one I described with a 25/65 degree angle at one end and strike a horizontal line across the centre of the angled end, set the tool rest so that line kisses the wheel and you're set. The critical thing grinding tools is that you don't want to remove the actual cutting edge (unless there's a nick), a lot of makers have an indelible, thick black felt pen sat by the grinder. They colour in the bevel and grind to within 1mm of the cutting edge but no further. When you set the tool rest you want to do a final check before you spin it up that you won't inadvertently touch the cutting edge when you present the tool to the grinding wheel. Work this way and bluing becomes a non issue, plus you'll preserve the precious camber on your plane irons.

I use a linisher and it has a built in tool rest with loads of different angles. I'll use 25 degrees for 95% of the time, 90 degrees for 4%, and all the other angles, used once in a blue moon, represent the missing 1%. Honestly, if you're constantly flipping between angles then either you're engaged in a very different style of woodwork to me or you're following an overly complicated sharpening regime.

Bonne chance.

Thank you Custard. As always.
I think I was still looking for a one stop solution. I should realise by now that there's more to it. I hadn't realised that I shouldn't be grinding the cutting edge then adding a bevel and reintroducing camber. Makes perfect sense. when explained like that. I owe you yet another pint. I'll have a pop at the hardwood guide first chance I get.
Bonne Chance to you too. :wink:

Chris, I have a record 8 inch that I used with an aftermarket rest very similar to the Veritas one ( I use a Sorby Proedge now) and my rest wouldn’t fit to the wheels because of the RP rests being in the way. I just hacksawed them off as I would never use them. The new rest then could be fitted easily then. I wouldn’t remove the side plates alter the integrity of the wheel covers. If things went wrong with the wheels at speed, those covers are all that would be between you and the exploding wheel debris. Incidentally I only used the platform at the grey wheel side. The white wheel side I had fitted with a wolverine (copy) type arrangement for touching up my turning tools. The system worked well.

custard":2gd2z9gc said:
Change of subject but have you seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR1EmTKAWIw

Unlike me I guess it didn't leave you hiding behind the sofa whimpering with terror!

Blimey. Not sure I'd fancy that either Custard. Some guys from my old firm had to rescue a French free climber from One Canada Square (Canary Wharf) many years back in the cradle. Personally I'd have left him there. I used to clean the pyramid roof there. That was high enough for me tbh!

Honest John":1pxcfv69 said:
Chris, I have a record 8 inch that I used with an aftermarket rest very similar to the Veritas one ( I use a Sorby Proedge now) and my rest wouldn’t fit to the wheels because of the RP rests being in the way. I just hacksawed them off as I would never use them. The new rest then could be fitted easily then. I wouldn’t remove the side plates alter the integrity of the wheel covers. If things went wrong with the wheels at speed, those covers are all that would be between you and the exploding wheel debris. Incidentally I only used the platform at the grey wheel side. The white wheel side I had fitted with a wolverine (copy) type arrangement for touching up my turning tools. The system worked well.
Thanks John.
Wise words on exploding wheel I suppose. Only needs to happen once.
The rest on the grey wheel is already cut away. I'll remove the other one, alter the jig to fit the wider white wheel and as you say leave the covers in place. Using Custards method I should be good to go (and a bit safer to boot).
Much appreciated.

Chris

Back